Engine accessory bracket "bushings"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine accessory bracket "bushings"

Ok so they're not really bushings - but on OEM Ford (serpentine) accessory brackets there are those split steel spacers/bushings/whatever where you run the bolts through. Does anybody know where to get those? I suppose junk yards could be a source but they tend to be stuck in there pretty tight.

For some reason I removed one or two of those in the past and I can't find the ones I removed nor replacement pieces. Maybe I'm searching with the wrong terms. I run a Mustang 5.0 alternator bracket and I am missing the one that goes in the upper alternator bolt hole in that bracket. I have an accessory squeak and that missing piece seems to be at least one culprit - the bolt isn't tight in that hole (though with the belt on, it doesn't move).

I swear I cause more problems than I fix sometimes... trying to overcome my current level of Bronco burn-out and just get it back to some semblance of "normal".

Anybody???
    Last edited by CityHick; 02-20-2014, 03:59 PM.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Engine accessory bracket "bushings"

You could try the Ford parts dept. They do still have part numbers for some older stuff, but if not, the junkyard may be your only option.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Well it looks like my fancy new 200 amp powermaster alternator is the squeaky culprit and I think I caused the problem... might have tossed $300 down the toilet in this process. Not sure that I actually have the Mustang alternator bracket, it doesn't have the clearance issue that's well documented online but rather, the alternator when mounted in that bracket positions the alternator pulley at a slight angle vs. the rest of the pulleys. Think I need to start over with a different bracket.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Yeah, don't think I've ever seen that sleeve/spacer/thingy as a separate piece listed anywhere. Probably just overlooked them, but that doesn't help.

But see my reply in your alternator thread. That Powermaster is too new to give up for dead just yet. A quick (ok, semi-quick) and easy bearing replacement should get the job done.
        If you have the time though, get the full rebuild kit that would include new bushings and brushes too. The old ones are probably practically new, but hey "while you're in there" ya know?

Paul
        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Hey Paul, thanks for the response.
          My main issue is the "trimming" that I did on the alternator mounting tab; its not going to fit the new bracket that I have coming to me from eBay. That plus the noisy bearing; not sure I want to mess with it anymore. My "quick fix" of trimming that tab on the first 3G I had lasted since 2008. Results not so good when repeated in 2013; won't ever be repeated again. New bracket, new, un-altered Alternator case and hopefully I get back to having a rig that I trust again. The past 14 months have had me questioning my future as an EB owner... lol.
          Last edited by CityHick; 02-21-2014, 08:40 AM.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Working...
          X