Upper door seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper door seals

Since these are glued to the top and windshield frame, how are you guys attaching these to have a removable top and not having to replace these each time? Are you cutting the seals? Do they leak when you do that? What seems to be working?
    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Re: Upper door seals

The only method I am aware of (possibly the most common method) is to cut the seal where the top and windshield frame meet. I have not had any issues with leaks. However, in some cases wind noise (whistling noise) can occur where the seal has been cut.

I would like to know if there are any better solutions to this since the wind noise can be obnoxious.
    '74 Ranger, Green, Uncut, 5.0 EFI, NV3550, 3.5" lift....

Comment

Cutting it at the top to windshield frame is what I have done. I have actually cut it at the corresponding angle between the top and frame prior to gluing. Then when I glue it I push those two edges together hard, to make sure the two edges are tight against each other. There is enough material to make it to the end, even with a bit of extra right at the corner.

Comment

Yep, most of the ones I know of, including mine, have just been cut at a 45 angle and no trouble has ever resulted.
        We even sell that one piece by itself now, for those either not running a hard top, or to replace a damaged section, or for whatever reason.

Paul
        Last edited by DirtDonk; 02-20-2014, 03:46 PM.
        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

If you have a gap where you cut them after the top gose back on for winter use a little black silicone to fill it. Comes right off when the top dose.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! Now for the task of getting my top on. Need to find the hardware for my rear door/window frame mounting ASAP. Any out there?

Comment

I wonder if those bolts were included in the body kit you got previously? Doesn't seem likely I'm thinking, since that's not a commonly disassembled part, but if you had any of those nice stainless bolts left over, you might see if they fit.

Or are you talking about the little side mount stuff where the latch rods extend into the roof sides? In that case, no idea!

Have you cataloged, tagged, bagged and labeled and boxed all those parts you had in your shop?

Paul
              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

What I need are the 4 hole threaded tabs that go inside the top that the hinge screws bolt into. If I had a drill press, I could probably fab some up. I have some zinc bolts already. I'm not sure if washers and nuts would be enough support and don't necessarily want to take a chance and break or crack the frame in my freshly painted top. My old top had them but it's gone (Traded for paint work) and my new top didn't have them. Door was off when I picked it up.

Comment

Oh, and no, not yet. I forsee a garage sale in the near future....

Comment

Working...
                  X