Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

So which batteries are you guys running/recommend? I've got dual Red Top Optimas from Costco that are about 8 yrs old and I've gotta constantly charge them if they've been sitting for a day or two. (I'm sure I've got a parsitic drain somewhere...). They are isolated from eachother via a cont duty solenoid and switch, but they are gettin' tired.

Been looking at the Odessey batts mainly because of their size but am in the research phase of getting new ones....Anyone know anything about the Braille Batteries?

TIA

Sean
    Last edited by FFMDX; 02-08-2014, 02:06 PM.
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Re: Batteries

I'm running the diehard platinum in the buggy. Real nice battery and has all Virgin lead. Can't remember which one it is, but its supposedly one of the high end ones rebadged for about 2/3 the cost.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

virgin is where its at then?

Ive been pretty disappointed with Optimas over the last few years. Ive 'heard' good things about the sears stuff though like Marc said.
      Last edited by plug ugly; 02-08-2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
        I'm running the diehard platinum in the buggy. Real nice battery and has all Virgin lead. Can't remember which one it is, but its supposedly one of the high end ones rebadged for about 2/3 the cost.
        The die hard platinums are made by Odyssey. Same specs as an Odyssey, but less expensive.

Comment

Virgin is not recycled, pure.
          Supposedly if you drain them completely you need a special charger to recharge them. I drained mine and my charger brought it back to life.
          Marc D.

Comment

Originally posted by Howdy View Post
            The die hard platinum's are made by Odyssey. Same specs as an Odyssey, but less expensive.
            When the Optima's first came out they were the shit! Costco wanted to carry them, but did not want to sell them at the regular price... So Optima changed the spec to something lesser than the original to get them in the price range that Costco wanted. Costco sold the shit out of them... People did not want to pay the original price for the better battery when they thought they could buy the same thing at Costco for cheaper. So Optima started making only the Costco spec batteries that only lasted 5-7 years instead of 10 plus years...

So that is the urban legend that I was told by a buddy that works at Interstate Batts. So is the Die hard the same or just repackaged? I have no personal experience, but I have had great luck with the Odysseys.
            2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
            1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
            2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I've been putting the die hard platinum in everything for the last 8 years and haven't had any issues yet!
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I have DH Platinums to for the last 3-4 years, I like them.

Comment

I have the AGM from orialy auto it works for me so far.

Comment

I was told the die hard is on sale at sears?
                    http://www.sears.com/diehard-advance...3000P?prdNo=13
                    Last edited by pipelayer; 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Do they make any with side posts as well?
                      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

I think my diehard has both.
                        Marc D.

Comment

Check out the Deka Intimidator batteries (some now being sold under the Duracell name). They are an AGM battery like the Odyssey.

After having SHIT luck with Optimas for the past several years I decided to give these a try. I still just run one but it's huge with a massive reserve capacity (2.5 hours worth or so). I can go find the model number if you're interested. A friend had been running a Deka for years with great results; I found a good deal and jumped too. Mine's now over 2 years old and cranks my rig right up after sitting for weeks.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Any part numbers would be great!

Comment

Deka 9a65:
                              http://www.tristatebattery.com/9a65-...acturers_id=14

150 minute reserve capacity - that's 2.5 hours of a 25 amp drain while still maintaining a useful voltage. Impressive battery.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X