Welding on an engine block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding on an engine block

Can you weld on an engine block with a MIG welder? I think the 351 is leaking water inside the bell housing. When I rescued the 351 it was in an old boat and it had a crack in the block at a water jacket below the head surface. I guess it had froze enough to crack it. I had a good shop weld it back up and rebuild it 6 years ago. I have been noticing fluid leaking out the bottom of the bell housing lately. Not much though, but it isn't oil or tranny fluid. I was thinking maybe the block started to leak again. I hope not.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

I'm not an expert on welding, but I believe they make a rod for a stick welder for cast iron material. You would be better off using the correct rod instead of a mig for the engine block. JMO
    70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

Lincolnelectric.com has a lot of helpfull hint and tips on welding different materials. Slvregl was right they recommend using a stick welder and controling the temp of the cast through out the process. Look up lincoln its has help me numerous times.
      70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

cool, thanks guys. I am not looking forward to pulling the motor. I think I will wait till I have to.
        1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, blocks are not cast iron...they are cast steel and can be welded with standard mig wire. Please correct me if I am wrong.
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Working...
          X