Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild H. Saginaw into Explorer Bracket install

Hi all,

I am installing Wild Horses new bracket for using Saginaw steering pump with Explorer front dress. My install is on a 351W which required a modification to the pulley brace that bolts to the head, I also fabricated a better pulley spacer to allow the use of factory bolt/dust shield. Very simple, nice kit.

Jim
    Attached Files

Re: Wild H. Saginaw into Explorer Bracket install

nice, but I am thinking you need to move the reservoir. Its gravity feed and shouldnt be below the pump.

Comment

^ What he said... You will want the feed hose for the pump as straight and vertical as possible and the shorter the better with the reservoir above the pump.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

There is no way to mount the resivior higher than the pump unless I want to cut a hole in the hood and stick it through as the fittings are at the bottom of 8" or so tank. I used similar mounting with my last Hydroboost, and the explorer pump handled it fine, it is just going to have to work, (crossing my fingers)!

Jim

Comment

It look like you can move it up about five inches or more from the pictures? Unless your mastercylander is out the hood.
          Last edited by pipelayer; 11-29-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Luckily, PSC has good customer service when you burn up a pump. Ask me how I know...
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by pipelayer View Post
              It look like you can move it up about five inches or more from the pictures? Unless your mastercylander is out the hood.
              I can move it up some, but there is not enough room under hood to get it completely above the pump without moving the pump down. Back to the drawing board!

Jim

Comment

I still have that pump I got from you Jim if you need it? I'm not sure if its the correct one but you can have it back for a spare if you need it.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by JimGo View Post
                  I can move it up some, but there is not enough room under hood to get it completely above the pump without moving the pump down. Back to the drawing board!

Jim
                  That's why I didn't like the PSC or Howe reservoirs. They're both really tall but not very big in diameter. I ended up using a reservoir off a big rig. Holds like 1.5 quarts, has a filter and is easy to service and isn't very tall. Actually shorter than the PSC one you have.
                  Attached Files

Comment

mount it further back from the radiator. Not totally sure on the broncos, but my rig, the hood tapers down as it goes from firewall to radiator.

Comment

Ok, I was lying about it clearing the hood. I didn't want to face facts! I lowered the pump a bit, and raised the resi and was able to get a slight downhill slope on the filler! Thanks guys!

Jim
                      Attached Files

Comment

I looked on Wild Horses web site did not see that bracket. Would you have a part # by chance.
                        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
                          I looked on Wild Horses web site did not see that bracket. Would you have a part # by chance.
                          I believe he is "Testing" the product right now B4 it is released to the general population...
                          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

10-4
                            As far as I know, production is proceeding, but we didn't have fully plated brackets in inventory, or finalized printed instructions the last time I checked.
                            Some of that status may have changed however, as it is on the site as part #2023.
                            Not listed as a "new" part on that page though, so I'll check to see if it's ready to ship yet.

It does not "officially" fit the 351w either, since it was only designed on the 5.0 engines we had handy at the time. And that's what the Explorer brackets come on anyway, so it made sense to start there. I'm sure more and more of the setups are finding their way to the 5.8's though, so we'll see how it goes.
                            Jim's experience will be very helpful in that regard.

Jim, I notice that your pump is not the standard Saginaw "canned ham" reservoir pump. Looks more like the pump in our #2074 kit. That correct?
                            Not sure how it might have effected your pulley placement, but that might be why at least the pulley shaft diameter was different from what was expected.
                            Not sure what else it might throw off (if anything) but it's something to make note of for future reference.

Ford has a reservoir somewhat similar to what EFIbroncoman posted from the big rigs. I found a low-profile one on an E-series van not long ago. Smaller than the one in the pic I think, but not by much.
                            Got any pics of how you mounted yours broncoman?

Paul
                            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Hi Paul,

That pump had a "canned ham" style can before I changed it. It has a .688" shaft, I guess its a Ford application because a Mustang pulley fits. Let me know how to get the other pulley back to you.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X