302 wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 wont start

my 302 ran before i pulled the pan to replace the rear main seal. i had to prime the oil pump and re stab the dizzy before trying to start it. i have spark and gas but it backfires through carb and wont turn over. i made sure it was tdc by puling the plug and putting a wire in the #1 piston and i lined up the rotor at #1. still nothing. i even swapped the wires 180 on the dizzy with the same result.
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Re: 302 wont start

I would think it would still be the timing

Comment

X2 for timing. I'm not sure why you'd switch the wires 180. Take the cap off and rotate the rotor 180
      1973 Ford Bronco: 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, NP 435/D20. Holley Projection, 4.56 gears.

Comment

Because I did this in the past, you didn't confuse #5 with #1. #1 is passenger side front and #5 is front drivers side.
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I wish i had a buck for every time i did the timing or firing order wrong. go back to square one, tdc reset the dizzy, redo the firing order for your motor. non ho 15426378-

If it doesn't start first pop, have someone turn it over while you slowly rotate the dizzy advanced and retarded and if you stabbed it correctly you'll find the firing point.
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

It runs now, but only if dizzy is all the way advanced. I'm guessing one tooth off unless anyone has any other ideas

Comment

What's the initial timing set at?
              1973 Ford Bronco: 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, NP 435/D20. Holley Projection, 4.56 gears.

Comment

Originally posted by jperry1290 View Post
                It runs now, but only if dizzy is all the way advanced. I'm guessing one tooth off unless anyone has any other ideas
                Probably so. You will probably need to realign the oil pump shaft when you do it. I use a 1/4 deep socket.
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

8*btdc
                  72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                  BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                  RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Got it running decent today. After the vacuum was back on the dizzy I was at 19deg btdc at idle. Sound about right?

Comment

19* is way way to much, IIRC stock is 8-10* and for a little bump maybe up it to 12*. The late model guys that are concerned with daily driving and squeezing every last drop of fuel out it run 16* with a modified ignition system.
                      72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
                        19* is way way to much, IIRC stock is 8-10* and for a little bump maybe up it to 12*. The late model guys that are concerned with daily driving and squeezing every last drop of fuel out it run 16* with a modified ignition system.
                        The 8-10* is with the vacuum disconnected.
                        Marc D.
                        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Your damper marks could be off

Comment

What's your total advance?

Comment

Total is 19 w vac adv at idle. That was my earlier question, does that sound right?

Comment

Working...
                              X