Aluminum vs copper/ brass radiators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum vs copper/ brass radiators

Had a small pesky radiator leak in my WH almn radiator for the last 3 months. Took it over to Pankeys radiator in Hayward today and they told me the radiator had basically eaten the inlet/ outlet tubes away from the core. Guy at the shop said he could epoxy it, but cannot guarantee the work as it is only a band aid fix. Recommended to do it right and just get a new radiator.

I've only owned it for a year, but the previous owner put it in 6 years ago, has always run an anode cap, but the radiator was not grounded.

Anyone have long term experience with an Almn radiator? Or should I just put in a standard copper/brass 4core?
    -Chuck

Re: Aluminum vs copper/ brass radiators

Given your current experience, I would seriously consider a copper/brass type.
    But first, perhaps there is someone who can fix yours by either welding or epoxy that can give you a better chance at a longer life.
    Not sure how you use epoxy on this type of radiator though. Just as a standard sealant over the leak? Is this how they were planning to do it?

Reason I say change the material though is that, even with your sacrificial anode you're still getting electrolysis it sounds like. Did the radiator guy give any indication of it being a widespread problem? Or was it very localized?
    It sounds like either your wiring system is not quite up to par (most EB wiring setups aren't I'd say) and/or you and the PO are not changing out your coolant as religiously as you could be.

Aluminum radiators are more sensitive to electrolysis, so making sure that the coolant is done per specifications (most likely every other year) and that you have more ground paths than EB's came with so that the coolant doesn't try to be one too.

Is your main harness original or new? How many major ground straps/wires/cables do you have between the battery, body, frame and engine?
    Did you change the coolant when you got the Bronco? Just in case the PO didn't?

I guess I'm just saying it would be nice to be able to fix and continue to use what was initially by the PO a pretty serious amount of money. Mainly so that you don't have to spend any more than you really need to, until you really need to.
    But that if any of those other things are not quite up to snuff, then yeah, that's the tipping point where you might consider going back to copper/brass at that point.
    Or a modern OE type aluminum one with big rubber isolators and plastic side tanks, like the Explorer rad that some are using nowadays.

Regarding grounding the radiator so that any errant current has a quick-n-easy path through, I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. Heard recommendations both ways, but I'm leaning into the no-ground/no connection camp myself. Just haven't heard enough arguments to sway me completely one way or the other yet.

Paul
    Last edited by DirtDonk; 09-30-2013, 08:40 PM.
    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Touch the battery ground of your car with the negative test probe of your volt/ohm meter, then carefully dip the positive test probe into the coolant in the radiator making sure it does not touch the filler neck. By doing this, you will test whether electrolysis has already occurred in you radiator.
      To keep from having this problem in the future make sure your flued is clean and the block is grounded in a good clean spot. Make sure all the extra lights, fans, radio have a good ground.

Comment

I just found this

http://www.ehow.com/how_7859419_rid-...-radiator.html

Comment

Where is it leaking?
          The beauty of aluminum radiators is 98% of the time you can TIG weld any leaks.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

It is leaking in multiple locations along the lower corner seams behind the side tanks. No way to reweld unless you cut the radiator apart.
            The ironic part is that some bastard stole it from my office this afternoon..my fault I left it outside....
            I was going to give fixing it a shot as there was nothing to lose.

Reviewed the wiring and it has a new painless kit, however the PO did A piss poor job of grounding everything. I've only had the rig 13 months, so the bronco gods were angry I haven't spent any money fixing anything yet.
            -Chuck

Comment

I'd just fix the grounds and get another rad. I prefer the welded ones mines been in for 10+ years without a issue.
              Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
              X