Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mustang rear sump pan in a Bronco

Hello,

Is anyone running the Fox body Mustang pan in their Bronco...or the Explorer pan, and if so, are there any issues?

I have a 5.0 block with the hole for the dipstick, so I can go either way.

I have basically three options:
    1. Mustang 79-93 dual hump pan.
    2. Explorer 1996 cast aluminum pan.
    3. Get a Early Brono pan.

Any recommendations?

Re: Mustang rear sump pan in a Bronco

I have the mustang pan and havent had any issues at all with it.

Comment

For my 351w, I bought the Foxbody Mustang 351 conversion pan for use in my EB. Fits just fine, no issues. I assume the 302 pan will be the same in all respects other than the slight difference in the gasket mating surface.

A friend runs the Explorer pan with no issues in his rig as well. Sounds like you have plenty of options.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by NorcalKD View Post
        I have the mustang pan and havent had any issues at all with it.
        x2. FYI, i have a 1" body lift

Comment

I think it depends on the clearance to you front axle... My front axle is pushed 3" forward, a rear sump would work better on mine...
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

James,

I have run the Explorer pan/pick up in three Broncos (D44) without issue. The part numbers are obsoleted by Ford, so wreaking yard option...
            2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
            1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
            2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

It looks like the Explorer Pan does not have the clearance area in the rear sump to run the LH exhaust crossover pipe between the pan and the flywheel.

So I would either have to run the exhaust forward...or put the crossover behind the bell housing???

Anybody running Single exhaust and the Explorer pan...and if so, where's the pipe go?

Looks like the fox 5.0 pan might be the best option.

THANKS!

Comment

Way late to the party...

James, did you figure this out? I'm running a steel Explorer pan with left side exhaust crossing over to the right (single exhaust), taking advantage of the cutout in the pan meant for that purpose.
                1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Yep,

After trying the Explorer Cast aluminum pan, and then the Fox 5.0 double sump pan...I settled on a stock Early Bronco pan, and used the early style dipstick.

The reason is because I was re-using a custom exhaust crossover, and the Bronco pan gave more clearance.

Bronco is running great now.

Comment

Working...
                  X