Injected stroker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injected stroker?

Anyone running a 393/408 injected motor? I really want to run a stroker from a tuned mustang MAF, but was just told by two tuners not to. According to hi-tech

http://www.hitechmotorsport.com/perf...rformance-shop

He indicates that no matter what i do, it will never idle as well, or drive as well on the trail as it does in stock form. I have always been very pleased with how my motor ran off rod. Could idle to zero and it would one right back. I don't want to lose this, but would love to be able to mat it from time to time and spin the 42's.

Anyone been successful?

Re: Injected stroker?

"Injected stroker"...I thought this was SPAM. HAHAHA!!

I plan to do ford injection on my 393 in the future. I may, however sell the ford lightning stuff and do the new MSD Atomic set up. So sweet. I'm very indecisive.

It's all about cam and head choice. Don't build it for high RPM race...build a smaller runner head torque monster. Coast puts 170cc edelbrocks on their torque strokers.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Jack Covert or IronBenderII on this board has been running an EFI 408w for a few years now.
      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
        I may, however sell the ford lightning stuff
        Please put me in line if you sell that stuff. I'm in the market.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

I plan on running an EFI full roller 408W. My plan is to run a Comp cams 35-512-8 roller cam along with 30 lb. hr. injectors and MAF with the Mustang plenum, BC adapter and Windsor lower while running a 70mm throttle body. I hope I will have enough air flow with that combo but I'm not looking for a power band above 5000 rpms...
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I put a call into jack and haven't heard back yet.

So no one to date has tried and been successful other than jack?

Is jack running tuned mustang MAF?

Comment

I am running a 351w, comp 35-308-8 roller cam, 30lb injectors, TFS aluminum heads, lightning 90mm MAF (2004), explorer 65 mm throttle body, lightning intake (1994) and EDIS. The whole thing is controlled with a mustang a9p ecu and quarterhorse chip (running A9L tune). I used transfer functions I found on the internet for the lightning MAF, changed the parameters for the injectors, displacement, EDIS, long tube headers, etc all at once and just plugged it in and it started and ran perfect, idles great I have never bothered to change any of the parameters. I know it is not a stroker motor but I setup the EFI so it could feed a stroker motor later on if that is the way I go. It is kind of like a stroked 302 I don't see any reason why the ECU would have trouble with more displacement.

I really recommend the lightning MAF, it will support 400-500 hp without maxing out the voltage, they have better low flow response than a mustang MAF, less prone to back-wash, it is a ford stock piece so the electronics are good, transfer functions are easy to find and well understood and they are CHEAP, I paid ~$150 for the MAF, adapter, and 9 inch filter. Also everyone I talked to said stick with the ford racing injectors, there again all the parameters are well known and supplied by FORD, just update the numbers in your tune and drive.
              Last edited by pippinmader; 10-17-2012, 11:49 AM.
              Build thread

Comment

Patrick, Crawlin68 is, ping him...or see it at Bronctoberfest
                68 Slightly modified
                67 LUBR once again
                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

so Im bringing this back from the dead.

anyone have any experience with megasquirt stuff?

Comment

Just on a single cylinder quad. It simple but is never perfect for a street ride like atomic

Comment

Not the Megasquirt, but back to your original question, Jerry's red buggy had a 419W with Lightning upper, Edelbrock heads, one of the standard cams (like a B303 maybe?) advanced 6° and idled down like nobody's business. And would then proceed to smoke the lugs of of the 42" Swampers as soon as you pushed half-way down on the go pedal.
                      It ran cool at all times, and never so much as coughed on the trail.

I'd say that qualifies as stock stuff running on a stroker. Not sure what injector size, MAF application (I think it was aftermarket, but not sure) or any of the tuning details. And the original owner can't remember all of that either.
                      It was built by Scheitze(sp?) (pronounced Skate-sez) in Salinas. Super hot engine. Should have found it's way into a Cobra or something like that.

So I'm not sure what the tuners you mentioned were talking about, unless it was just the mix-and-match of parts. Because it sure doesn't seem like the fact that it was a stroker running on stock stuff was causing any trouble.

Paul
                      Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                      www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                      68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

good to know. Im just totally dumb when it comes to tech stuff, let alone tuning. Ive got a moates already, and sourcing a lightening maf would be easy enough, as well as larger injectors. Just need help to make it work and was willing to go to the pros for it.

Comment

Why not go with a FAST system? I dont know much about them but have heard great tunability with them. Probably close to the same $$ all said and done.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/efi-...fuel-injection
                          1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

I have been running mine for years and I absoluteloy love it on and off road. It's a 347cc stroker running ported and polished 351W Lightning iron heads, big cam, ported and polished GT-40 lower, Lighting tubular upper, 24 lb. injectors, 90mm MAF, and 70mm trottle body and a stock A9L ECM. It idles great, runs great on the road and is a stump puller off road.

Comment

There 'ya go. Proof positive that it can work, and that not all tuners are tuned-in to the same page, er, I mean table.

Not sure if the Lightning had a MAF to use, since I'd heard they were Speed Density systems. But the throttle body, upper and lower intakes (lower only if you've got a 5.8/351 based block that is) and other stuff would be workable.
                              As you can see by some of the other comments too though, lots of goodies can work together. It's just not always as easy as it sounds. Gotta make sure that they all can play nice together.

Could be fun though! And a MegaSquirt or FAST as SD said (hey Justin!) you could be your own tuner too.
                              I've always thought it'd be cool to start with an ECM that could be tuned. Was wanting a DFI setup to control all my Ford stuff, but not at that point yet, to know what's what. Still debating whether to just keep it simple and go with a TBI kit too, like Delta was thinking about doing as well.

We'll see how the dice roll.

Paul
                              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Working...
                              X