ZF5 S542 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZF5 S542 Project

Researching the ZF5 S542 2wheel drive trans and a Atlas 4 - Low Range: (2.0:1, 2.72:1, & 5.44:1) transfer for Snow and Sand, Trails, Rocks trips in my 74 Bronco. So far I have heard a lot about this combo, but only found this one article:

http://classicbroncos.com/ZF_Transmission_Swap.shtml

Does any here have any feedback they can provide on doing this conversion? Has anyone done it? If so, what is the impact on fuel economy? Was it tough to install.

I already have the 2" body lift, and am working towards running 37" and 4:88 gears, but have concerns this project may be more than I can tackle. Would I need to adjust drive lines? Any input would greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    David Rowe
    '74 Bronco Ranger, 351W w/ FiTech Injection, ZF5 5sp, Titan Blackbox Underdrive to Np205 TCase, Full Width Hi Pinion 44 & Ford 9" w/ disks, 4x4x2 w/ hydro steer, 23 Gallon Tank, Protofab bumpers and on-board air.

Re: ZF5 S542 Project

I don't think you're gonna gain anything by using a 2wd transmission over a 4wd. Keep looking for the 4wd ZF. I just picked one up from Craigslist for $550 and it had been rebuilt. They are out there... And with a 4wd ZF, you can order an Atlas to bolt right up with no adapter. But the S5-42 plus Atlas 4 is gonna make for a really short rear driveshaft if you are stock wheelbase. I have a ZF and an NP 205 and my rear axle is pushed 6.5" back and my rear driveshaft is 34" long.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Seems like an awful lot of work for a setup you can get that'll bolt together off the shelf! I'd much rather source a 4x4 ZF & have a bolt together setup with STOCK parts vice all the custom shit. Things will need to be replaced or rebuilt at some point & that's always a big factor in mods I do. The more off the shelf parts you can use without custom machining the better IMO. A ZF swap is involved enough without all that extra work & worry.
      sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I'm fine with using the 4x4 version too. I simply like the idea of a bullet proof five speed that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and can get me more flexibility.

To deal with the length issue, would I need to go reverse rotation in the rear?
        David Rowe
        '74 Bronco Ranger, 351W w/ FiTech Injection, ZF5 5sp, Titan Blackbox Underdrive to Np205 TCase, Full Width Hi Pinion 44 & Ford 9" w/ disks, 4x4x2 w/ hydro steer, 23 Gallon Tank, Protofab bumpers and on-board air.

Comment

High pinion would help... But your only strong options there would be a True High 9, or a high pinion Dana 60. I think the limit of the Currie high pinion is 33" or 35" tires.
          Last edited by Efibroncoman; 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Lurker here...

I ran a ZF/203/D20 combo for about 12 years with a 23 1/2" long rear driveshaft, 3 1/2" suspension lift. Lot's of wheeling with rocks and no, as in zero drive line issues over that time. Friend up North has the same setup without an issue either. He still runs his...going on 14 yrs or something like that...

I have since changed everything around and now the drive line is 1" shorter and I had to go with a TrueHi9.

Good luck on your conversion.

Comment

what did you go to, and why?
              David Rowe

Comment

I went with a 4x4 trans and 2 speed atlas. I really like the combo.

I am not sure how much longer the 4 speed is...

I picked th ZF because it bolted up to the 302 and Atlas. No adapters. It was pretty easy with the BC kit.

Pics in my build thread.
                71 Bronco
                EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
                Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Working...
                X