What size socket??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size socket??

I need to remove a standard oil pressure sending unit (see pic). I have no tools here and need to know what size socket to buy/borrow.
    Attached Files
    Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Re: What size socket??

Henry, I've got a toolbox full of tools if you're still in the area... no need to buy
    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

I knew that friend. I was just hoping to find out what size I need. I would rather not drive the flatbed to the shop until I get another read on this oil pressure issue. Suppose I could just borrow 13/16 to say 1 1/8. I can hardly see the sender.

Comment

Uh that's an idiot light sender, not a gauge one! The one for an oil pressure gauge is much larger, and has a domed end, and needs an open end wrench to remove. And those are mounted on an extension, not directly into the block.

The socket for the idiot light sender is a special one with rounded corners, not a regular six or twelve pointer. JL
        '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

Some ebay links, and item numbers if the links don't work:

Sender for gauge:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-GAUGE-PR...098c0c&vxp=mtr

Item 230821563404

Extension for gauge sender:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-66-Must...r#ht_500wt_971

Item 360460631718

Special socket for idiot light sender:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-3-8-...r#ht_500wt_971

Item 221071741845

It says the socket is 1 inch, but note the rounded "flats". JL
          '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

Comment

This one

{o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Better yet Every Kragen auto parts store has the Lisle Switch sockets in stock.... And they're cheap!
              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Same metric crescent wrench I've got!

Good tip on the special socket - I think that's where I got mine about 30 years ago. lol. JL

Comment

Originally posted by Henry66 View Post
                  I need to remove a standard oil pressure sending unit (see pic). I have no tools here and need to know what size socket to buy/borrow.
                  Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                  Better yet Every Kragen auto parts store has the Lisle Switch sockets in stock.... And they're cheap!
                  I could mail you mine but it would cost more than to mail it in a flate rate box,
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I appreciate the humor and help. I think I got this.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Use a pair of Vice Grips, just don't over tighten
                      1973 Ford Bronco: 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, NP 435/D20. Holley Projection, 4.56 gears.

Comment

Henry, I have one you can borrow... Drive to Palo Alto/Stanford to pick it up, this Thursday or Saturday

Mac tools SC43 and/or SC46 one of them will work....

Doug
                        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Or if you wanted to come by some time to look at that air cleaner, I probably have a socket that would work too.
                          We can even verify by grabbing a sender from Winchester Auto if we needed to.

Paul
                          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I wonder if the a-hole that caused the oil sensor switch to require a special socket gets a royalty. What an idea! Oh, and the tiny little ferrule for the oil line that disappeared... well, that was just fine!
                            Attached Files

Comment

The really good news is the new gauge read 70 lbs on start up and 60 hot. The bad news is I failed to plumb the line and it got burned on exhaust, my arms are scratched up and burnt a little, and at one time my hand was actually stuck between engine and fire wall. And oh yeah, four trips to the parts store. On getting ready to take a shower I saw this (which I wore on the last parts trip). No wonder the guys were so nice.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X