pilot bearing vs bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilot bearing vs bushing

looking for some help, what kind of pilot bushing/bearing should I used. After looking around on the internet it looks like there are 4 options:

Bushings:
    1. Non-magnetic oil impregnated bronze (oilite) pilot bushing - The general consensus on the internet is that they are the best for dirty locations. I have not been able to find one of these anywhere.
    2. Metalic bronze/iron/graphite pilot bushing - not prone to wear but prone to messing up the end of the transmission input shaft. I have this one on hand

Bearings:
    3. Stock Ford bearing that uses needle bearings that runs directly on the input shaft on the transmission. Prone to collecting dust and failing which can mess up the end of the transmission input shaft
    4. Sealed bearing - generally a good choice but hard to find and expensive

Anyone have any thoughts, can I just use the bushing I have, maybe put a tiny bit of anti seize on it? FYI the transmission is a zf
    Last edited by pippinmader; 05-11-2012, 09:27 AM.
    Build thread

Re: pilot bearing vs bushing

Think I'm running the bushing with my ZF
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Well, the '92 5.8 I just prepped for a swap into my F-150 had the BEARING & a ZF bolted to it. Never saw the tranny but the bearing was completely wasted/ failed. In seeing that I can't imagine the trans shaft looked to good! I'd go with the bushing & will prolly run bushings on my junk in the future...
      Last edited by Fungus232; 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM.
      sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I have never had problems with bushings. My vote is put the one you have in.
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I was considering using this one from graingers:

The stock one is .67 in and 1.38 od so a 17mm (.669)x35mm(1.377) this is very close, the only issue is this bearing is only 10 mm (0.4in) thick and the bushing is 0.56. Maybe I am over thinking it
          Build thread

Comment

I opted for the bushing on my NV4500. It just seemed like it would last longer than a bearing.

Comment

OK, I am bushing it! I hope to have the engine in tonight.
              Build thread

Comment

Bearing in the track car... Bushing in the Bronco
                2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Advance Adapters has oilite bushings, at least for some applications. That's what I have with my NV4500. Have had a couple of needle bearings. I like the bushing better
                  1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                  I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Working...
                  X