30 to 44 disk breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 to 44 disk breaks

Without sounding like an idiot I would like some expert knowledge.

I have a full width dana 44 out of a 79 full size bronco. I was going to do a full width axel swap but I have changed my mind for now. I am wondering what parts of the disk breaks off the full width 44 will go on my dana 30 for now? And also what parts I will need to buy to complete the conversion.

Any help would be great!
    68, 302, T-18, all tore a part with parts on the floor!

Re: 30 to 44 disk breaks

For the D30 you will have to go with the chevy disk brake set up. The FW dana 44 can only be used on a 44 because you use everything from the knuckle out. The D30 is a kingpin set up and cannot accept the ball joint knuckles from the D44

Here's the chevy swap:
    http://classicbroncos.com/tech/chevy...ake-conversion

All the parts can be bought at WH.
    http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...isc_Brake_Kits
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew 68 View Post
      Without sounding like an idiot I would like some expert knowledge.
      (snip)
      Any help would be great!
      Here's some advice.

1. Disassemble the full width 44.
      2. take a porta-band, and saw thru the weld at the knuckles.
      3. take the same porta-band, and shorten the tubes to EB length.
      4. rotate the knuckles to the proper 7 degrees of caster for your lift.
      4.5 salvage radius arm tabs, and track bar from the 30.
      5. Put two used bronco 44 inner shafts in it.
      6. weld back on the knuckles, and track bar bracket.
      7. re-assemble the axle using Ford knuckles, brakes, and hubs.
      8. drive the Bronco.

Then you can have what you really want for about $100 and some labor.

Any investment of any kind into a dana 30 is just pissing in the wind.
      Last edited by jamesroney; 05-10-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesroney View Post
        Here's some advice.

1. Disassemble the full width 44.
        2. take a porta-band, and saw thru the weld at the knuckles.
        3. take the same porta-band, and shorten the tubes to EB length.
        4. rotate the knuckles to the proper 7 degrees of caster for your lift.
        4.5 salvage radius arm tabs, and track bar from the 30.
        5. Put two used bronco 44 inner shafts in it.
        6. weld back on the knuckles, and track bar bracket.
        7. re-assemble the axle using Ford knuckles, brakes, and hubs.
        8. drive the Bronco.

Then you can have what you really want for about $100 and some labor.

Any investment of any kind into a dana 30 is just pissing in the wind.
        He has a 79 Bronco axle with cast wedges. That will not work without re tubing the axle.
        {o===o}
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Well, that complicates things.

How in the world did he get stuck with one of those? I think those are High Pinion as well. That's too bad.

I'll need to go measure up a 79 axle.

Good luck.

Comment

Well, that complicates things.

How in the world did he get stuck with one of those? I think those are High Pinion as well. That's too bad.

I'll need to go measure up a 79 axle.

Good luck.
            Nothing wrong with a 78/79 BB D44. In fact, it makes life easy when throwing it under an EB
            {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
              Nothing wrong with a 78/79 BB D44. In fact, it makes life easy when throwing it under an EB
              Sorry, I don't know what a BB D44 means???

Comment

Sorry, I don't know what a BB D44 means???
                BB - Big Bronco (78/79)
                EB - Early Bronco (66-77)
                {o===o}

Comment

Well I appreciate the advise,
                  I was going to go full width and maybe still will, I just can't decide what to do with the radius arm situation when going full width. Also I don't really want to fight the hwy patrol about the tires being to wide. uhhhhh man, I really do want to go full width.

I was just hoping I could swap the disk parts over for now and then when I do decide to go full width I would swamp them back. But now I think I am back to going fully width.
                  68, 302, T-18, all tore a part with parts on the floor!

Comment

BB - Big Bronco (78/79)
                    EB - Early Bronco (66-77)
                    Thanks! I was stuck with "big-block" and "big-bearing."

BB - Big Bronco makes sense. But what do you you call the 80-96 Bronco?

Anyway, I'm not a big fan of the Hign Pinion Dana 44 in an EB. It makes a decent upgrade axle for a Wrangler, but if you own a 71-77 EB, then you already have a 44, and if you are doing an "upgrade" then the BB 44 doesn't really get you much benefit. Now if you want to go full width...then the BB-44 is a legitimate choice.

My problem with the HP 44 is that people think they are an upgrade to a LP 44, and I'm not sure I agree with that. My experience is that the Dana 44 is a really well balanced axle, in that the ring and pinion, differential carrier, and axle shafts / u-joints all fail at about the same time. So I've seen busted shafts, busted gears, and busted carriers. There's no obvious weak link.

Any time someone wants to upgrade to a full width 44, I always recommend going to a 60...because by the time you put RCV's or CTM's and alloy axles in a 44...you can buy a good used ball joint 60.

If you are staying stock width, then the upgraded axles / joints make sense.

So I'm not bad-mouthing the HP44, It's just not much better than the stock 44.

Comment

Any time someone wants to upgrade to a full width 44, I always recommend going to a 60...because by the time you put RCV's or CTM's and alloy axles in a 44...you can buy a good used ball joint 60.
                      Im going to respectfully disagree.
                      Sure you could buy a stock D60 for $600-$1000+, but then you're going to build that up. (more $$$)

You can squeeze a D50 R&P into a HP44 which is a 9" ring gear. Throw in some RCV's and gusset the inner C's and you have an axle that will not give out.
                      You get the ground clearance of a D44 and the strength of a 9".
                      {o===o}

Comment

But what do you you call the 80-96 Bronco?
                        Junk
                        Build thread

Comment

Im going to respectfully disagree.
                          Sure you could buy a stock D60 for $600-$1000+, but then you're going to build that up. (more $$$)

You can squeeze a D50 R&P into a HP44 which is a 9" ring gear. Throw in some RCV's and gusset the inner C's and you have an axle that will not give out.
                          You get the ground clearance of a D44 and the strength of a 9".
                          I appreciate the alternative viewpoint, and I respect your opinion.

That being said, if you build a full width 60 for an EB, resist the urge to build it up. That is the trap that people fall into. They buy a 60, and then they invest to make it even stronger. A stone stock 4.10 HP dana 60 can be found for 600-1000 as you say. You weld on the c-tabs and attach the radius arms. That's it. You get terrible ground clearance, but the strength of a 9" and those big 5-332X joints.

(BTW, Dana 50 gears are not anywhere near as strong as a 9 inch, due to the third pinion support bearing...but I know what you meant)

So by my math, used Dana 60 full width, tabs and mounts from the Dana 30, and go. $600. What did I miss?

Comment

In answer to your first question Andrew 68, you can use the hub and rotor, and the outer axle stubs towards your disc conversion.

You'll still have to substitute the GM-style spindles, caliper mounting bracket and caliper (and hoses too of course) and whatever bearings you need.
                            Sorry, I can never remember which bearings are which. Whether you can use the full-size bearings on the GM spindle, or if one of them is different. I know that at least one of them is the same, but my memory is not clear on the other.

So while you can still use a couple of major components of your 44, you're still going to have to source a few parts to make them compatible with the 30 under your rig.
                            Up to you to decide which way is worth the trouble to get where you want to go.

And just in case this Bronco is new to you and you haven't checked, do you know for a fact that you're still running with a 30 under the front? Lots of old Broncos have been upgraded already.
                            Yeah, I know, that would be a lot to hope for. But it wouldn't be the first time someone found a 44 under an early model, while later ones have been found with 30's swapped under them too!

Paul
                            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Working...
                            X