Radiator questions for a "cool" motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator questions for a "cool" motor

I am putting a explorer front dress on a 351, my stock radiator needs repaired and rodded out so I was thinking about just getting a new aluminum one. I have seen a few threads on here about aluminum radiators (so I am not buying a summit one). I can get one like this one but with reversed inlet/outlet for $229 and it will fit my stock mounts. Does anyone have any opinion about champion brand radiators?
    Last edited by pippinmader; 05-01-2012, 10:50 AM.
    Build thread

Re: Radiator questions for a "cool" motor

I run the 1st gen explorer (91-94) 4.0L radiator on my '69. Easy to install with some minor mods and runs about $40 at the junkyard. The shroud that comes with them fits the 5.0L explorer clutch fan PERFECT too. Aluminum 2 core rad w/ plastic tanks and reversed inlet/ outlet for the serp setup. Like it so much I picked up another to use on the 68 build w/ the 5.8L. Plenty of pics of how I built mounts for it in my "FungusAmongus" thread (page 11). Brand spankin' new they run about $110 over the counter at almost any chain parts house.

Here's a pick I took of the setup I'll run on the 68. 4.0 rad and shroud w/ 5.0 explorer clutch fan sitting inside.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fungus232; 05-01-2012, 11:16 AM.
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I considered the 4.0 radiator, although I like the of the aluminum tanks. Also will the stock explorer water pump flow enough volume (I have aluminum heads)?
      Build thread

Comment

I'm gonna run the stock waterpump on my 5.8 w/ alum heads. Time will tell!
        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

That looks like a deal want to follow along to see how this works out for you. I am running a 351 and Expolrer front and a 8274 winch. I an having over heating an High RPMs only (55mph Fine 65mph To hot)
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I am running a warn 8274 also and would like to eventually have AC, although when I add AC I will probably also add a electric fan that comes on with the AC. It sounds like if I go any larger the stock brackets may not fit. Come to think of it not fitting has never stopped me from installing anything in the past.
            Build thread

Comment

I have a late model 5.0 mustang motor in 76 Bronco with a reverse water pump. Just got a Champion aluminum rad with reverse outlets and seems to be working fine. Joe
              Last edited by Raceday; 05-02-2012, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X