71 bronco gauge issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 71 bronco gauge issue

I just picked up a 71 bronco, I washed the engine bay and now the gauges wont work. I have checked all connections and checked my grounds, does anybody have an idea what the issue could be. The gauges just max out when I turn them on like they are being jumped. They all worked great before.

Re: 71 bronco gauge issue

you may have gotten water thru the firewall and on the guages or wiring. It may resolve itself if it dries out or you could use air to blow off the wiring. There is a wiring harness coming thru the firewall there that goes down the drivers side of the truck to the tank. Might be water in that too.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

ya that's what I was thinking, but its been a week now??? This prompted me to take every electrical connection and pack it with dielectric grease so when going threw a water crossing it doesn't die on me.

Comment

Two things that will make the three gauges peg (fuel-oil-temp). #1 is a bad gauge regulator on the back of the cluster. Could have gotten water inside. #2 is a bad ground on the regulator or the cluster itself. Check the mounting screws on both. JL
        '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

What he said ^
          My regulator went out 3 times and lost count on the mustang. Lol

You can send your cluster to get rebuilt and lookin good to a buddy of mine.
          http://classychassisrestoration.com/
          1970 bronco sport,built 351w,built c6 ,np205, 1tons,44's on H1's,ez wiring,tbrid EFI, 3link front & 4link rear.

Comment

Working...
          X