Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

at the risk of sounding like an idiot......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at the risk of sounding like an idiot......

just wondering if any of you have run into this. I'm building a set of 609s using a mix of factory and aftermarket parts, for the front axle I have a fabricated 9" housing of the 3" variety and factory dana 60 inner Cs which are 3.125 so obviously I won't get a press fit with those parts. Just trying to see what other people have done, the options I see are....

a)I have an alignment bar so just center it all in and buzz it together

b)use 1/16" shim stock or sheetmetal around the tube and use the alignment bar

c)turn some larger tubing in the lathe for a press fit on the I.D. of the axle tube and the O.D. of the inner C

I would have bought the larger tube housing but have no access to a lathe large enough for a complete axle. I will probably end up using option C for piece of mind so the inner C is not relying on the weld to support the vehicle
    thoughts or experience???? maybe I haven't thought of another option?

Re: at the risk of sounding like an idiot......

Option 3 sounds the best. There is a lot of stress on the inner Cs

Comment

Can't believe you would throw out a topic like this, mention the in-depth custom work you're doing/creating, and then put out 3 suggestions which are totally outside of my comprehension and title the thread with "at the risk of sounding like an idiot......"

I felt like an idiot reading your post - it was kind of like "what's a 609?" and "what's an inner C?". No need to explain to those of us who have never torn down an axle, but want to reassure you that you most definately didn't sound like an indiot in my book. That'd be my job on topics like this

Good luck
      1969 Sport, 302 V8, 3 spd on the floor, Red, Power Steering, 2" lift, 33" tires

Comment

Well, the correct answer is probably if you don't know then have somebody else do it or if you bought a fabricated housing why not spring for the aftermarket Inner Cs? This is a pretty low budget 609 with the housing being the most expensive piece by far, and the only reason I got a new housing is it would probably be more work than its worth and too time consuming to try to retube a 9" and I've seen too many banjo housings bent.

Comment

Need a press in "shim" to fill in the .125 difference.
          Thats what I would do.
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

That was one of my thoughts, getting a thin sheet of 1/16" steel to go inbetween but it would probably be hard to get in with any type of press fit. Thought about tacking it to the tube and grinding it smooth and heat the C and see if it will go. I'd have to check if we still have any liquid nitrogen for the housing. We have a lathe at work so I think I'm just gonna make the adapter.

I want to make them around 64"-66", I have a set of 80s ford 60 shafts... Should I keep the drivers side factory length and cut down the pass side to keep 1 stock length shaft? Does anyone know if the center section will clear the frame? I know, I'm lazy but if someone has dealt with it already with a 60 then it would make my life easier

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
              Option 3 sounds the best. There is a lot of stress on the inner Cs
              I'll second this ^^^. Sounds, by far, the best option to me.
              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Definitely option 3, unless you opt to buy some Reid Racing inner "C's" that are machined for a press fit. Granted a set of those would be $500 +/- but it would be safer than a shim. If you decide to go the shim route, make sure you use quality steel and not just what fits. What you might be able to do is get some scrap axle tube from Ruff Stuff Specialties to machine down. They use 3.5" x .375" wall tube for their housings which means the inside diameter would be 2.75". If you don't have access to a lathe the machine work could cost you a couple hundred dollars in labor. You will want probably -0.002" interference fit so that everything will press together when hot/cold. So, I think your choice is down to:

a) $500 aftermarket "C's".

b) $100-$200 for machining and $50 +/- for the scrap steel tube.
                Last edited by Efibroncoman; 04-13-2012, 12:12 PM.
                SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

http://www.reidracing.biz/off-road-p...a-60-inner-c-1
                  {o===o}
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                  Originally posted by CityHick
                  I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Buy Reid C's, I've seen many C's fall of because someone either got the wrong size, or ground way to much off the C, they need that press fit.
                    With only a 1/8 shim stock, when you press on the C's you're screw up that "shim".
                    Bite the bullet, go orange.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

It will be one of those two options, I have access to a lathe so I will try to get a piece of tubing and turn it first. I just cut the inner Cs off at the weld then ground it until I could see the hairline then pressed the tube out. I think there should be enough meat in the C. If all else fails I will try to buy aftermarket, would just have to check compatibility. Don't laugh because it was all near free but it will be dodge cad inner Cs and knuckles with ford spindles and hubs to convert to wheel bearings with ford non neck down 60 shafts. Rear is dodge Dana 70 spindles and hubs with 35 spline axles. Like I said, all parts were either free or close to it

Comment

Originally posted by Kansas Corey View Post
                        I felt like an idiot reading your post -
                        You're not the only one, I'm still confused!
                        '68- 302 C4 x D20, Dana 30 x 9" stock gears, 33" pavement pounders, 3-1/2" suspension lift 0 body lift, wishlist getting bigger, wallet getting smaller

Comment

Originally posted by jonasd View Post
                          It will be one of those two options, I have access to a lathe so I will try to get a piece of tubing and turn it first. I just cut the inner Cs off at the weld then ground it until I could see the hairline then pressed the tube out. I think there should be enough meat in the C. If all else fails I will try to buy aftermarket, would just have to check compatibility. Don't laugh because it was all near free but it will be dodge cad inner Cs and knuckles with ford spindles and hubs to convert to wheel bearings with ford non neck down 60 shafts. Rear is dodge Dana 70 spindles and hubs with 35 spline axles. Like I said, all parts were either free or close to it
                          When it fails it will cost you a front driveline and coil overs if your running them.
                          You will be able to put the shim in, probally make 2-3 heavy passes to weld it all together, but only time will tell you if it goes boom.
                          Buy them.
                          Last edited by welndmn; 04-16-2012, 02:21 PM.
                          Mark Harris
                          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

So far for the only aftermarket ball joint inner C manufacturers I've found are Solid Axle Industries and Dynatrac, both of which are designed for 3.125" tube. I'll just make a pair of adapters in the lathe and maybe add a couple gussets for good measure. Those inner Cs should be forged correct? Would you recommend pre and post heating and using sand or is that for cast only? Thanks for the help and criticism, I do appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                              When it fails it will cost you a front driveline and coil overs if your running them.
                              You will be able to put the shim in, probally make 2-3 heavy passes to weld it all together, but only time will tell you if it goes boom.
                              Buy them.
                              I agree with mark, do it right the first time or you will be paying more down the road. Like the saying goes "pay me now or pay me later".
                              69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X