Dana 44 spindle seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 44 spindle seals

I got the long side in just fine, the outer axle shaft had the seal slinger in place and the spindle seals were held in. On the short side the outer axle shaft did not have the slinger in place so i bought one. Unfortunately the slinger is too large and does not fit on the axle. I am concerned that if i install the axle shaft with out something in place to hold the seals in place they will burn up or it would be useless. I am at a loss for how to properly keep the spindle seals in place. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Dana 44 spindle seals

If you go to your local auto parts house you can get a kit that has all the little parts for the stub axle. Including the slinger. If I remember correctly the SKF part no# is BK-1
    If thats not right a compitent parts guy should be able to find it.
    Gary
    Speedtech Performance
    71 Bronco, fully custom, daily driven
    69 Torino, being built

Comment

Things may have changed of course, but I've never seen a BK-1 with a slinger included.
      It would have the "bellows" seal that fits next to the slinger, but not the steel slinger itself.
      If they have them now, that would be a great thing.

The small spindle seal actually stays put pretty good all on it's own. I've never seen one pulled out before. The plastic (original was brass) spacer/washer/thingy would push up against it, and probably push it back into the base of the spindle if it did chance to come out anyway.
      The larger seal might be a bit loose without the slinger, but I'm not really sure about that. Can't remember if the seal slips over the slinger's shoulder, or if it sits adjacent to it.

Either way, you can buy the correct slingers separately if you need to, or just use it as-is and leave the slinger off for now.
      I wonder though. Is your new slinger just too large, or could your outer axle have a too-small flange so a stock slinger won't fit it?
      Is this a replacement axle shaft, or original?

Good luck.

Paul
      Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
      www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
      68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Thanks DirtDonk.

The axle ended up being the problem, i am not certain what it came out of but it definitely did not come out of a 44. The axle flange was to small and the slinger would not fit. Plus the spline count and diameter was way off. Broncrick hooked me up with a new inner shaft, and i think i need a new stub shaft.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
        X