Tom's new EFI harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom's new EFI harness

I am ready to buy a harness for my EFI swap. Has anyone used Tom's Bronco Parts harness? They are running a special for $525 and it's in stock.

I just talked to them and they are not made by RJM anymore. Same with BC's harness.

Has anyone used this harness from Tom's new vendor? They assured me the quality is the same with all Ford connectors, etc. Thanks for any input.
    1972 w/Explorer package
    5.0L Explorer EFI motor w/GT40P heads
    M5R2 5 speed trans/NP205 t-case

Re: Tom's new EFI harness

That looks really nice. I've never messed with an RJM harness, but I've wired a few Broncos using the old (late 90's/early 2000's) Ford Racing harnesses as well as used harnesses, and I've built up a couple of frankenharnesses from a mix of new and used. It's not for the impatient or anyone who lacks attention to detail. You have to be meticulous and carefully QC your work if you don't want to do a lot of troubleshooting later, especially if you start customizing stuff.

If I was wiring a Bronco for myself now, I'd fork out the money. Major timesaver, if you can afford it.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

I had heard that Ryan's harness is now being made by Ron Francis. Maybe that's what Tom's is selling.
      Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

I just got my harness today and it's just like it says lay it on the motor and plug it in

Comment

Originally posted by garberz View Post
          I had heard that Ryan's harness is now being made by Ron Francis. Maybe that's what Tom's is selling.
          i have a ron francis harness and 3x rjm harnesses. they are not the same. the ron francis harness has a separate harness plug that allows you to pull the motor without removing the entire harness.ugs from the rest of the harness. Its very similar to the stock mustang harness that separates the injector and intake pl The RJM harness is a one piece harness.
          69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Originally posted by brocbronc View Post
            i have a ron francis harness and 3x rjm harnesses. they are not the same. the ron francis harness has a separate harness plug that allows you to pull the motor without removing the entire harness.ugs from the rest of the harness. Its very similar to the stock mustang harness that separates the injector and intake pl The RJM harness is a one piece harness.
            Harness that unplugs so u can pull the motor like stock? Awesome
            72 BRONCO,still building.

Comment

Originally posted by BigHarvey56 View Post
              Harness that unplugs so u can pull the motor like stock? Awesome
              I assume you are being polite. It doesnt seem like you are offering any useful information.

I have the Ron Francis and RJM Harnesses in front of me.

The RJM harness is a one piece harness with a disconnect plug to separate the oxygen sensor harness. It also has a built in EGR eliminator.

The Ron Francis harness that I have has three parts to the harness. The main engine harness, the injector harness, and the oxygen sensor harness. THis is similar to the stock 89-93 mustang Mass Air harness. It has the same two plugs that allows for separating the injector harness from the rest of the main harness. This means you can leave the upper intake on the motor when removing.

The Ron Morris also has EGR connectors.

I used an RJM in one of my Broncos and it works great. Ive never pulled the motor since install 5 years ago.

Here are some pictures... The first is the Ron Morris harness with sections detached. The second pic is the RJM harness. THe last pic is both harnesses for comparison.

I hope this info helps someone.
              Attached Files

Comment

The Toms efi harness looks just like the RJM harnesses that I have here. I just bought mine during the Thanksgiving 2011 sale. RJM harness is really nice.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures Brocbronc. Like you said, it would probably be awhile before I had to pull the motor again. Then again I'll probably have to just as soon as I say that.

I'd like to buy from Tom's, the only hang up I have is the lack of the egr eliminator.

To complicate things a little, Summit sells the Ron Francis "detail zone" harnesses with the egr eliminator installed. They claim to use RJM technology and the spout connector looks exactly like Ryan's. It's hard to tell from the picture but I cannot see any large disconnect plugs. The picture may be wrong though if you say the Ron Francis harness has them.

The unwrapped harness is 475 while the bronco specific harness is about 550. Kind of leaning towards the un-wrapped version since I might be changing to a few explorer plugs anyway.

Here's the links:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RFW-COBRA75/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RFW-TDZ75/
                  1972 w/Explorer package
                  5.0L Explorer EFI motor w/GT40P heads
                  M5R2 5 speed trans/NP205 t-case

Comment

Originally posted by brocbronc View Post
                    I assume you are being polite. It doesnt seem like you are offering any useful information.

I have the Ron Francis and RJM Harnesses in front of me.

The RJM harness is a one piece harness with a disconnect plug to separate the oxygen sensor harness. It also has a built in EGR eliminator.

The Ron Francis harness that I have has three parts to the harness. The main engine harness, the injector harness, and the oxygen sensor harness. THis is similar to the stock 89-93 mustang Mass Air harness. It has the same two plugs that allows for separating the injector harness from the rest of the main harness. This means you can leave the upper intake on the motor when removing.

The Ron Morris also has EGR connectors.

I used an RJM in one of my Broncos and it works great. Ive never pulled the motor since install 5 years ago.

Here are some pictures... The first is the Ron Morris harness with sections detached. The second pic is the RJM harness. THe last pic is both harnesses for comparison.

I hope this info helps someone.
                    i too have an RJM harness and once i install my motor and harness i dont plan on pulling it all apart, but we all know how things go. i just dont want to unplug everything once it is all installed. im thinking about putting in a plug so i can just unplug and leave most of the harness on the motor and not have wires laying everywhere. and i hope i didn't offened you in any way.
                    72 BRONCO,still building.

Comment

Just remember y'all, that a connector = a failure mode. The "salt n' pepper" connectors on the factory Mustang harness were notorious for causing electrical gremlins as cars aged and the connector pins corroded. On corral.net there were plenty of stories about guys eliminating them and permanently joining the harnesses back when I was first doing my EFI swap around 11 years ago. Corrosion is related to age, not miles driven. When I built my latest harness I got those gone. If you pull the engine a few times a year then a disconnect might be nice, but otherwise the risk of electrical problems isn't worth it IMHO.
                      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Working...
                      X