Painting EB at home questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting EB at home questions

I'm getting to the point...finally...of painting my EB. I'm going to paint it at home. I've got a plan for the booth, but my questions are about shooting it...

1) I've read up and if done right you really should use two guns. One for priming and sealing and the other for paint...or something like that. The key being one gun with 1.0 flow and the other 1.5 flow needle...of so. Is that really necessary. Summit sells a two gun kit that's reasonable.

2) That leads to my main problem...my compressor is 50 gallon, but only 4.5 CFM rating. And the guns call for a rating at 7.0 CFM and up... Given the gallons I have and setting the regulator right, and shooting the body in sections...can I get away with not buy/renting a higher CFM compressor?

3) Do you have a recommendation for where to buy paint? How much should it cost to shoot my complete EB with an good, inexpensive paint? I'm not looking for a show truck. Its a rock crawler that I want nice when done but do plan to wheel after.

Prime and Paint VS Prime, Base, and Clear...

In the past, I had my EB painted at Miracle Auto painting and they just sanded and painted it...no clear. I chose a simple green with no pearl or metalic so when I scratched it all I had to do was either buff it or do some light sanding and repaint with a rattle can. Yes, the color I choose could be bought in a rattle can. That worked...sort of. As the years went on the layers of paint piled up and eventually, the paint was no longer available. The guy who stripped the tub was not happy with me...layers just kept coming off.

The other option is doing a base coat and clear coat. This allows scratches in the clear to simply be buffed out...or lightly sanded and shot with a bit more clear and buffed. It is more complicated with base and clear when scratches go deeper and scratch the paint....and it costs more to shoot due to more steps if you have it done...

4) Given the above two paragraphs, do you think prime, base and clear or just paint it? I will scratch it on the trail, and will fix the scratches now and then. Dents...are character marks...

I am going to roll in a bedliner product on the floor...and under the floor which it would be nice to spray on to save time. What type of sprayer is needed for spraying herculiner? Anyone done it? What works.

Lots...I know. Thanks for reading

MA
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Re: Painting EB at home questions

i did this a few months back. i did prime and paint and wish i did prime, paint clear. check tcpglobal.com they have good customer service and a good selection of products. i bought everything from them. get a crap load of lights cause that was the downfall of my project. you can check my build thread. the prep is the key.
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

I did mine in my garage; it came out decent for a beginner.

My paint gun is a Sharpe Finex FX300 which you can buy different size nozzles for. I have a 1.2 nozzle for paint and primer/sealer, and a 1.5 nozzle for spraying high-build primer. High-build is (as it sounds) thick stuff that you spray on then sand down... kind of like super thin body filler. You won't be doing high-build on the same day you're painting, so swapping nozzles on 1 gun is a good option.

It sounds like you have the booth figured out so I'll skip my commentary on that topic.

My compressor sounds similar to yours. It was more than capable of producing a good pattern consistently. On paint day I tended to shoot one panel at a time then give the compressor a breather. Bronco panels are small and your compressor should be able to keep up. The most important part is trapping water in the compressed air. Technically there's an elaborate plumbing scheme that can be followed to help with this, but honestly the most important factor is to put the water separator far from the compressor tank. For me I ran a 50' air hose off the tank, up in the rafters then back down and that's where my water trap was attached, then another 50' air hose connected to the trap and out to my air gun. Redneck, yes, but effective.

I shot single-stage DuPont Imron and have no regrets in going that way. Its reasonably tough and I've buffed a few scratches out of it with no problems. I did apply 4 coats as orange doesn't get good color depth in one or two coats. As I mentioned I applied a primer sealer immediately before the paint. primer/sealers are thin and apply just like paint does, and it cures quickly so you apply it within the same hour as the paint, out of the same gun.

Anyway I hope I didn't lose you here...
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I dont feel like typing a lot of information Call me and I can answer all your questions. Im in Fair Oaks and im a painter. Dave 916 792 9481
        http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=027a34b946

Comment

I bought this one from Eastwood:
          http://www.eastwood.com/Concours-guns4

I got the 51605 kit with 1.2, 1.4 & 1.8 tips. Haven't used it yet but someday...
          sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Originally posted by CageDave View Post
            I dont feel like typing a lot of information Call me and I can answer all your questions. Im in Fair Oaks and im a painter. Dave 916 792 9481
            http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=027a34b946
            I will call. Maybe we can work out something and you can shoot it.
            Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY View Post
              I will call. Maybe we can work out something and you can shoot it.
              Dave does great work, you wont regret it Marlon
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Thank you Rick

Comment

Working...
                X