Compressor & blast media tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor & blast media tech

With all the changes to the rig, I find myself wanting to do a lot of cleaing: Prep the engine bay for paint, clean the front and rear housing for paint, clean the new steering boxes, etc.. There aren't enough wire brushes in the world to get these all done.

So I am looking to upgrade from my 20+ year old Sanborn 3 hp compressor to something that will run a sandblaster or soda/media blaster. Looks like I need to get at least 10 CFM at 90psi - so far the best bet for a new one seems to be this, it has a big tank and a cast iron belt-driven pump; don't want to mess with the new oil-less direct drive gizmos.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...06&R=100083906

Also looking around the garage to find space for a blast cabinet.

What are you guys using?

Does soda remove paint and/or rust?

Anyone ever build a blast cabinet? Found lots of plans online.

Re: Compressor & blast media tech

That would be a good choice for a typical home mechanic garage and about the size of my compressor. It handled the demand when I sanded and painted my Bronco but was running almost constantly. When I upgrade I think I'll go with something in the two cylinder variety and around 80 gallons. Looks like those run around $550-$650.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I would say get a 2 stage 220v of any brand your comfortable with. The single stage 110v compressors can't keep up with much. You will be glad you did when you start running a blast cabinet.
      70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

I made mine from an old cooler/Icechest. I can only do small part in it.

I've always used play sand.

EDIT:
        On that note. An old "deep freeze" freezer would make a good cabinet. I know you can find them on Craigslist all day for free/not running. You dont need it to work, just the box and lid to be intact.
        Last edited by 71BRONCO71; 03-22-2012, 12:15 PM.
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Read here for some good blasting info.
          http://www.americanstrippingsacramento.com/faq.html

Soda will not remove rust, sand can be too abrasive on thin materials, (thanks Cage Dave for this insight)

Weighing my options now for DIY blast my tub or pay American to do it. Worst case quote was $750 including a epoxy sealer primer when they are done blasting.
          1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

One of the Saturday morning car shows had a car blasted and primered using a baked on powdercoat type of primer. It was really cool and I'd like to find out if somebody local does that...
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Found a good PDF about routing lines for keeping things dry, thought I'd pass it along.

http://members.aol.com/buickfam/piping.jpg

Also found that the 4 year warranty on the Husky compressor doesn't cover the motor, pully, flywheel, gauge, piston rings, etc. - all the parts that you think would fail are considered wear items. They have an extended warranty for $80 that is probably a pretty good idea. Also learned that service for the stationary units is on-site, which is kind of cool. Hate to have to lug that thing back to the store.

Comment

Did you look at rayco in modesto. they have a good selction of comp. i have a small bead blast cabinet from habor freight works good but no light init.
                75 302 c4 marlin crawler 20 44&9" 4.56 arb's 35"mtrs

Comment

I use a small media blast from Harbor Freight. Ony can fit small parts. I have found the glass doesn't leave the surface too rough and easily primed for painting. I wish I had a larger compressor as my 110 can't keep up. Have to stop and let it catch up.
                  1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Cool thread on use of copper pipe for plumbing air lines in the shop:

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=20056

Comment

Working...
                    X