A cheaper Detroit locker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cheaper Detroit locker?

I'm putting together a new third member for the rear. What's the story with this Detroit locker, it's over $200 cheaper than the smaller bearing case unit. I want to buy a nodular case anyways. Buying this Detroit would almost pay for the Nodular case. What am I not seeing here?

http://completeoffroad.com/i-7601497...187s-188a.html

I've shopped other places, and the price is about the same. Here's one for under $300

http://www.overstockdiffparts.com/Pr...px?ProdID=7402
    Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Re: A cheaper Detroit locker?

I have a 28 spline detroit locker Ill sell you cheap
    sigpicWhen I get home im gonna punch yo momma in the mouth

Comment

Thanks, but I want to re gear and just do all this the one time. So I'm going with the 31 spline Detroit.
      Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

How would I tell if if I have a locker or not in my current 3rd member? What do I look for? As you can see in my last pictures of my build thread that its out of my housing.

Brad
        1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

I think I remember these detroits are not the newer style "soft" locker and are the older ones that click very loud

Comment

Maybe that's what the deal is, I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and find out. I wouldn't mind the older style. I'll post back what I find.
            Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

One of the old school mechanics at my work told me one day, that as long as you hear and feel it... Its working just fine! If it stops doing that, then you have big problems. I might need to look into these!
              Leave No One Behind
              KK6AUW

Comment

I talked to Complete Offroad and Randy's R&P about this Detroit in particular. http://completeoffroad.com/i-7601497...187s-188a.html They both said it's a soft locker, not as aggressive as the DET 187N-178A but, it's for the 3.250 bearing case only, meaning it's not a popular seller. Looks like this is what I'll start with and buy a Strange case from Summit.
                Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Originally posted by garberz View Post
                  I talked to Complete Offroad and Randy's R&P about this Detroit in particular. http://completeoffroad.com/i-7601497...187s-188a.html They both said it's a soft locker, not as aggressive as the DET 187N-178A but, it's for the 3.250 bearing case only, meaning it's not a popular seller. Looks like this is what I'll start with and buy a Strange case from Summit.
                  That would be my guess, most people with a 3.250 case are running 35 spline axles.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Well there's your excuse then. When you use that extra 200 for the Nodular case, just upgrade to the larger bearing one and you'll be good to go in the future no matter what you want!
                    Maybe....

When I read your first post, I was thinking that they were selling the old Nascar versions that were cropping up more and more. Something about them being biased for left turns only or something like that, made them a little less desirable too. But I'm pretty sure several of the Bronco guys are running them and like them and have no trouble.
                    And happy to save the money too.
                    But they would likely have told you that, if they were something oddball like that.

So you gonna do it?

Paul
                    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Once you've settled on your locker check out overstock differential. It's a subsidiary of Randy's so you get the same great service with a cheaper price. I bought my "drop in" Detroit for my Dana 70U from them. I can't remember the exact amount but it was significantly less.
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDonk View Post
                        ........So you gonna do it?

Paul

Yes, I'm buying the 3.250, 31 spline Detroit, Strange Nodular case, Motive gear 4.57 R&P, Daytona pinion support, a new 1310 yoke and some sort of an install kit for this mismatched third member I'm wanting to build.

damaged, I checked pricing with overstock diff, and there's a link in my first post to this Locker, in fact, on the overstock website is where I first found this. I want to get a few things from Complete Offroad, so I'll save a bunch on shipping by getting most of this stuff from them.
                        Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

So your cheap Detroit is going to set you back about $1495???

$331 detroit
                          $379 axles
                          $170 Motive R&P
                          $93 Ratech install kit / 3.062-Daytona
                          $119 Daytona pinion support
                          $328 Strange Iron Housing
                          $75? 3.25 bearing kit.

And you end up with 31 spline axles that will barely hold up under 35's.

I need to start charging more...

Comment

Originally posted by trash View Post
                            I have a 28 spline detroit locker Ill sell you cheap
                            How cheap? What gear ratio will it accept?
                            Last edited by RandyatBBY; 03-21-2012, 02:41 PM.
                            1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesroney View Post
                              So your cheap Detroit is going to set you back about $1495???

$331 detroit
                              $379 axles
                              $170 Motive R&P
                              $93 Ratech install kit / 3.062-Daytona
                              $119 Daytona pinion support
                              $328 Strange Iron Housing
                              $75? 3.25 bearing kit.

And you end up with 31 spline axles that will barely hold up under 35's.

I need to start charging more...
                              Most of that In Red is a wash you are going to be buying any way. The Case is an upgrade
                              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Working...
                              X