trade ZF for c6????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trade ZF for c6????????

im entertaining swapping back to an auto.....need to shroten the dtrain up as much as possible.

I have a working zf with newish(to the scout build, so maybe half a dozen trails under it) wilwood MC, stainless line, etc I would consider trading for a decent c6. Also have a klune goliath (2.7)and 205 I would consider trading for an atlas.

If you are interested, lets talk.

Re: trade ZF for c6????????

Why are you unhappy with this setup? I've been thinking about running the same setup in my bronco and would love to hear the cons before i invest. Thank you
    David Rowe
    '74 Bronco Ranger, 351W w/ FiTech Injection, ZF5 5sp, Titan Blackbox Underdrive to Np205 TCase, Full Width Hi Pinion 44 & Ford 9" w/ disks, 4x4x2 w/ hydro steer, 23 Gallon Tank, Protofab bumpers and on-board air.

Comment

I wasn't really happy with the length of the ZF either, it works really good with a single transfer case without doubler because the front and rear driveshafts are the same length on a bronco....but in my opinion a doubler is a lot better than a single reduction transfercase even if the final crawl ratio is the same.

It would be a lot of work but you could shorten the ZF, the tailshaft has about 4-5 inches extra, the housing could fairly easily be cut and re-welded. The main shaft has the material to re-spline, I talked to someone (maybe Moser) and they could do the splining for less than $100 if I disassembled and shipped it to them. In the end I decided it wasn't worth the money and time for 5 inches, but it would be cool to see someone else do it
      Build thread

Comment

Its a great set up and served me well. I need to shorten my set up cause my rear cardan binds and limits my droop to 10" AND, the gear split when trying to drive fast in the desert is a little wide from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. Plus, i would like the wife to start driving more and she would prefer an auto.

For a daily driver to moderate hard wheeler, the ZF kicks ass IMO. There are times when an auto is better, but not often.

Comment

The ZF is a long transmission but even with the length my front driveline is only about 2" longer than the rear(my wheelbase is 13" over stock). I have an Atlas II in 4.3 and it's almost too low with a 408W stroker. Usually when crawling I'm in 2nd gear, 3rd or 4th when cruising on the trail. But granny works well for really technical stuff.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

How much longer is the zf then a np435? I have a aod at my house I'm thinking of installing but the driveline is getting shorter all the time. And a auto would be more fun in fast mode, plus in town. And I'm getting old and lazy. But the problem is the price of a built aod. For you Damon a c6 would be awesome.

Comment

i dont need OD anymore. 1:1 should take me to 75 plus. Plenty fast for me in the desert in this rig. A zf is like 29.5" IIRC from bell to end of tailshaft housing (which is integrated)
              Last edited by plug ugly; 07-01-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X