Gold Panning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Panning

It is time to do some gold panning. Let's think about where we want to go and do it soon. Maybe first of many. Broncrick has places he knows about. 14Justice does too. Who else?

My place is 5 miles from Colgate Power House on the Yuba River. It's about 10 miles to the Middle fork at Hwy 49, about another 15 to Downieville. I have an acre of lawn to camp on. Bring your own everything.
    Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Re: Gold Panning

Sounds like a good time!
    Jack
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Count me in Henry. I don't really know of any place. I've heard that you can pan on the South Fork of the Yuba by Bridgeport. You can also pan in the Auburn State Recreation Area but that's quite a ways from your house.

Comment

I was planning on building a sluice box for this summer.

Im game... And of course we will bring our own liquid "gold"
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Toss some dates out there, I'd be interested, extra points if there are fish worth catching if the gold collecting doesn't pan out. Yes bad pun I know.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Just to throw it on the wall and see if it sticks weekend of April 20. Spring Bash is 27th. I can move it either way if we can get a group together. Even into May. I just don't want to push it out to far. Heck, I might get a job or something. We can always do it again in the heat of summer. And yes, fishin' is one of the perks of pannin'.

Comment

Unfortunately, my first weekend available won't be until May 4-5. I'm on shift all before that. No need to plan around me.... I can loan a sluice to Ryan if needed. Have a couple.

I know BDM2013 is 4-6 May and Ryan is going. My first real open weekend is May 4-5 then not again until May 18-19.

I have a Highbanker, sluice, bad knees and back, a thirst for the outdoors and beer, just need time and an opportunity.
              Last edited by 14Justice; 03-28-2013, 07:22 AM.
              1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Anybody want to go with May 4-5 ?

Comment

I can do either April 20 or May 4. Do we have a location yet?

Comment

We need more input. Anybody?

Comment

I belong to an organization that has many claims and would love to take a group into one of the claims up there. I can only take one visitor with me. There are claims in Butte County, Plumas County, Sierra County, Nevada County, Placer County, and El Dorado County that are "somewhat" close by. There is a public, State Owned, area in the Auburn area that is open to anyone but that has been picked over pretty good. When it comes to panning/mining, there are rules that need/should be followed. If you mine somene elses claim, it can be a federal offense. I'm in a position that I cannot afford to not follow the rules. It's not worth my career.

I will say this, it is the best time of year to get lucky with the run-off washing new material down in the creek and river systems. I just purchased a Highbanker last month and am eager to put it to some use. The organization I belong to is GPAA and has anual dues of $85 or so wich includes some goodies with your membership. ie... Gold Pan, sniffer bottle, and the biggie is a mining guide that gives you locations to claims all over the US. If we have more members that want to go, we could use one of the claims in that area... Just a thought and suggestion.

Brad
                      1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

I plead ignorance. We always just went down to the Yuba up past Colgate power house and panned. A few people camp down there all summer. I thought claims had to be posted. However, I am not surprised if John Q. Public is now prohibited from panning in the Kings rivers. After all. it cost almost $50 try your luck at fishing.

Comment

Brad:

I also belong to the GPAA and could take a guest.

Henry:

Most spots are claimed and yes, they should be marked. I'm not sure about the Yuba above Colgate but it pays to make sure. The penalties can be stiff or you get shot.

Comment

I hate it when I get shot. Maybe we should just go fishin'.

You guys pan, I'll guard the Broncos.

Comment

Let's not let Henry's idea die. I have done a little research about places to pan. Here's what I found:

Areas open to the public:

Auburn State Recreation Area located on Hwy 49 South of Auburn.

Bridgeport (near the town of Rough and Ready) hands and pans only.

Malakoff State Park on Hwy 49 North of Nevada City.

An area on the South Fork of the Yuba river between the towns of Washington and North Bloomfield. This might be a little hard to find but would be a fun Bronco outing. If anyone is interested in this I could do some checking with the Forest Service.

As stated above, Brad and I are Gold Prospectors of Association of America members and there are numerous claims in most every county. Sierra county has some good looking ones but I haven't tried any. The good news is most of them are on four wheel drive roads. We can take guests but my wife is my guest.

Let me throw some dates out:

April 20
                              May 11
                              May 18

We don't have to get a big group. In fact two Broncos will be enough.

What do you all think?

Comment

Working...
                              X