Wife wants a pistol for her birthday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife wants a pistol for her birthday.

I know it may be foolish but I'm going to buy her one.
    Anyone have advise on a particular model?

She wants a semi auto. I've never been a fan of 9m's and my 45 is a bit much for her. So 40? 380?
    It will probably be seldom used (maybe only once) so I don't have to spend a ton of money but would like something nice and dependable.

Where to buy is also a question. TDS seems to be getting a pretty good rep.
    Just Guns is right around the corner from me but have not felt welcomed by anyone in there.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Re: Wife wants a pistol for her birthday.

Kahr PM9.. small, thin, Light weight. great gun for concealment.
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I would recommend River City Gun Exchange.

I've known the people there for years and have worked there in the past.
      If you would like, PM me and we can arrange a day and time I could meet you there.
      If not, ask for Dave, Paul, or Bennie and tell them Mike sent you.
      Paul is really good at matching you with the right gun.

Decide what the purpose of the firearm is going to be.
      Recreation, protection, home defense, etc.
      It can be a multi-purpose.

I recommend that your wife be involved with the purchase process to insure the correct choice. This will kill the surprise factor.

Fit is the most important aspect of picking a firearm. If it's too big or small she won't like it or use it.
      Being comfortable with the function is a close second. If she can't load, re-load, clear a malfunction, etc she won't like it or use it.
      Caliber is the least important consideration. She has to feel comfortable with the size of bullet she is shooting and needs to be able to hit the target.
      Only hits count.
      When picking a caliber remember the weight of the gun is your friend or enemy.
      A heavier gun will help absorb recoil where a lighter gun will transfer more recoil to the shooter.
      You mentioned you do not prefer 9mm, but it can be very effective.

Remember, what you like may not be the best choice for her.

If possible find a range that offers gun rentals and shoot a wide variety of makes, types, and calibers.

Also, do not discount revolvers. I have worked with many different types of firearms over the years and a couple of my favorite go-to guns are revolvers.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
      Last edited by Mike C; 08-26-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

i took the little missy to the firing range to try out a few different pistols. started with a .380 super 9mm but she seemed to really like my colt 1911 .45 acp. i had the chance to acquire a sig sauer p220 and she fell in love. so when you see her carrying her backpack, its not just cameras in there.

Comment

Own a few a P220's... My favorite gun ever!! Equinox Carry is my next purchase!!
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Thanks guy's I really appreciate the response. That PM9 is a little bitty thing, looks good for concealment (we are looking into CCW). The P220 looks like a nice piece. Would be a nice compliment to my colt.
            Thanks Mike, I may take you up on your offer. My wife will definitely be involved with the choice. I like the idea of a revolver but she wants a semi auto.

Is there a range in the Sacramento area where we can try out a variety of weapons?

This will be a home defense/gun range weapon.

Comment

I shoot a Browning Hi Power in .40 S&W, not sure if they're available new anymore though. LOVE it! It's all steel so it has a good weight to help with recoil. It also has a smaller grip as I have smaller hands and a real low center of gravity on the slide to further aid in keeping recoil down. My wife shoots it and is very comfortable and effective with it. As far as recoil goes, I'd say it's comparable to the Beretta M-9 I shot/ carried in the USMC but has a HELL of alot more knock down power.
              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

My wife carries a Sig 239. She has very petite hands so she shortened the trigger pull and reversed the mag release. This allows her to drop the mag using her index finger. Lightning fast mag changes while staying on target.
                Many pistols are simply too large for a lot of women to effectively manipulate.

If she is interested in CC, small and light is imperative or it will stay at home. If you can find someone selling a KelTec P3AT or Ruger LCP I would seriously take a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcdobson View Post
                  Thanks guy's I really appreciate the response. That PM9 is a little bitty thing, looks good for concealment (we are looking into CCW). The P220 looks like a nice piece. Would be a nice compliment to my colt.
                  Thanks Mike, I may take you up on your offer. My wife will definitely be involved with the choice. I like the idea of a revolver but she wants a semi auto.

Is there a range in the Sacramento area where we can try out a variety of weapons?

This will be a home defense/gun range weapon.
                  The Gun Room
                  9221 SURVEY RD
                  ELK GROVE, CA 95624
                  916/714-GUNS(4867)
                  www.thegunroom.org

This is the only indoor range I know of in the Sacramento area that also rents guns.

The good news is there are a lot of great choices when picking a gun.
                  Warning: This could lead to multiple gun ownership.
                  There are pros / cons to each model and type.
                  Find someone that'll take the time to sit down and talk to you honestly about them, and beware of someone pushing the flavor of the month or trying to move inventory.

Comment

my wife has a smith 40 m&p and not a bad price
                    Tony 69 bronco

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
                      Kahr PM9.. small, thin, Light weight. great gun for concealment.
                      That's a neat little gun.
                      We're here for a good time, not a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy View Post
                        That's a neat little gun.
                        love it.. i got all black with night sites.. perfect..and comfortable to wear.. also love the S&W 442..
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

check out FN P40s, nicer trigger than the S&W M&P and it comes with 3 mags.
                          72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Any brands or models you would absolutely stay away from?

Comment

I have a personal preference against ruger, Taurus and Berretta and I'm not totally sold on Kahr.
                              Really it's all about how it feels in her hand; triggers and recoil can be fixed on any weapon.
                              72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Working...
                              X