Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 20 days of waiting

RIA compact

For the price I don't think you can beat it. I decided that I wanted to start doing .45 work on the side; just like my AR thing I have going. There isn't much info about the RIA as far as internals go, and figured it would be a good place to showcase some of my armorer skills. Well to my surprise the compact model comes with a reverse barrel bushing and full length guide rod (considered to be the absolute first upgrade to any compact .45). It comes with a high ride extended beaver tail and combat hammer (I knew about these parts). I would say at most a new trigger so that some of the play can be taken out and add a bit of bling. But in reality there isn't much play to be removed.
    So mechanically they are an absolute best bang for the buck. Most I think I will do is hone the throat and deburr and polish the whole thing and call it a day. Oh yeah $500 out the door including tax and DROS.

Only downside is if 20 days ago I would of known I was gonna sell the Ferd; I probably wouldn't of started this .45 venture. Oh well selavi and all that jazz.
    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Re: After 20 days of waiting

Great gun!!
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I can't wait to get back from WI so can hit the range. Then sit down and starts stoning and polishing.
      It only to 30 mins to get all the cosmoleen out of it.

Comment

awesome! skeleton hammer, extended beavertail mmmmmmmmm

is it dovetailed in the rear or iron sights?
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

That is the only draw back to a CS or a MS; they have traditional series 70 (GI) sights. So modern Novak style sights are not an option unless you have your slide milled. But from what I'm seeing, i wouldnt spend the extra $$$ on a RIA tactical. 1911s are the most diverse handgun you could own and can be had at in plain jane and built from mild to wild.
          I've already started making connections in Fresno with no doubt more to come as I dive into IDPA shooting.
          A vertical mill is just out of my reach at this point and so is the expense of extra slides to practice on.

Comment

I like that a lot. Have you got any experience installing a combat hammer and beaver tail in a Series 80?
            Mike

Comment

It takes 4 things to install a hammer and beaver into a series 80 1: a jig 2: patience 3: Arkansas stone/sandpaper 4: fear. If you use a "drop in" beaver than it should require very little stoning if any. The hammer should just pin in place but hammer/sear contact must be checked. Are you getting hammer bite from your 80 or do you just want to be able to get a higher grip?

Comment

I come home bloody every time I go shooting.

Comment

Get a Wilson drop in beaver and hammer; it's to easy, at most you have to shave where the beaver engages the trigger bow.

Comment

The only real reason to get a smithed in beaver is if your looking for a seamless custom look.
                    The drop in Wilsons are for series 70 & 80.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look at the Wilson's.

Comment

Those Rock Islands are a great gun, I've been kicking around about buying one for a year or so.
                        Brad
                        Chico, Ca.

Comment

Full range review once I get back from maneuvers. I view 1911s like broncos, get in cheap and build to your desire.

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
                            Full range review once I get back from maneuvers. I view 1911s like broncos, get in cheap and build to your desire.
                            Without a doubt; the 1911 is such a great platform and RIA has made it very economical. From what I understand the actual manufacturing is done by the same company that had the contract to produce 1911's for the Phillipine government between WW1 and WW2, or at least they are made on the same equipment. IN anycase the RIA 1911's & 1911A1's are compatable with anyother 1911/A1 parts unlike Coonan, Para, Smith and Ruger. These are made to the exact contract standards that other contractors had to make their .45's to during WW2.
                            Brad
                            Chico, Ca.

Comment

You are correct. RIA which is Armscor, took over and original colt factory in the Phillipines. So in essence, the RIA is not just a copy of Colt but more of a renamed Colt seeing as how Colt machining and tooling is used.

Comment

Working...
                              X