Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone looked into or finished an 80% AR lower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone looked into or finished an 80% AR lower?

I just learned of this a few weeks ago and found it pretty interesting. You can buy an AR lower that is 80 percent finished and because it is not functional it is not considered a firearm. It requires no serial number and no registration. It can be shipped to your house and you can finish it yourself with a drill press. If the firearm is built for yourself it is not required to be registered with the ATF. More info in the link below.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-lower-receiver/
    Last edited by fordnut77; 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM.
    77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Re: Has anyone looked into or finished an 80% AR lower?

Nice find! :grin:
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Hmmm..... interesting.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Umm Yes.. Not the 80% BUT I have built complete lowers.. Although I have built only Bushmaster's... Ordered uppers and built the lower..

Aaron
        Last edited by Daddy4zack; 09-30-2010, 06:06 PM.
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I have built AR lowers before and found it pretty easy. Now doing machine work on a lower takes it to another level.
          77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. "assembling" is much different than "constructing" and I don't really recommend walking the tight rope of firearms laws. Keep in mind that all federal laws have to be ratified by the state. So really it doesn't matter what ATF says, you must abide by the state law. With that being said; what benefit would an 80% lower give you?
            72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
              I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. "assembling" is much different than "constructing" and I don't really recommend walking the tight rope of firearms laws. Keep in mind that all federal laws have to be ratified by the state. So really it doesn't matter what ATF says, you must abide by the state law. With that being said; what benefit would an 80% lower give you?
              I am no expert on California's convoluted gun laws, even many of the CADOJ officers are not sure about the laws, but as I stated I find it interesting. I do see this as a very gray area and not worth the risk of getting arrested. I am going to research further into this to check on the legality of constructing a firearm in California.

With that being said, the benefits are that it can be shipped directly to your house and you don't have to involve a dealer. It is often difficult to find a dealer in California that will even sell you an AR lower in the first place. Then many dealers have you pay a transfer fee, shipping, and the DROS paperwork fee so it could cost you around $75 more than the asking price.
              Last edited by fordnut77; 10-01-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Sierra arms in Modesto sells empty lowers. POF etc etc. The real beauty of the AR platform is that you only really need one lower.
                Last edited by TRAILBOUND; 10-01-2010, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Stupid iPhone won't let me edit my post:

IMHO it is better to drop the money on lower receiver and fill it with the best products and lightest trigger money can buy. Then just start collecting uppers.

Comment

So you save $30-40 bucks on fees and get a project....I guess if you want a project and have the means its a good idea.
                    70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
                      .... The real beauty of the AR platform is that you only really need one lower.
                      Then why is it I have three and one sits un-built?
                      Seriously - the 80% lower thing - Risk/Reward - it's not worth it.
                      Once you buy the tooling jigs - finish the machining - then get them anodized (hard anodize w/ Teflon is the shit) - it’s not worth the $$$/Risk. Cheapy OLL is now down to about $150.
                      Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                        Then why is it I have three and one sits un-built?.
                        Don't have an answer for you, maybe one is an ar-10, I dunno.

What's funny is that only just recently is the mil talking about using multi-uppered M-16 platforms.

Comment

Working...
                        X