AR-15 Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AR-15 Recommendation

Ia m in the market for an AR-15 and wanted to get everyone's recommendations. Probably looking for something that capable of shooting both .223 and the NATO 5.56 rounds. What do you own and how do you like it? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. I just want something to go target and varmint shooting and with.

Re: AR-15 Recommendation

You can shoot .223 in a 5.56 chamber. It is not recommended to shoot 5.56 from a .223 chamber as the 5.56 cartridge is slightly longer. .223 Wylde can shoot both .223 and 5.56.

You know AR-15's as currently configured with bullet buttons will be considered Assault Weapons and require registration as of 1/1/17.

Comment

If your looking to stay on a budget I'd look into a smith and Wesson m&p. You can pick one up for about $650 or less if you find one on sell. Or if you have more time to look around and collect parts you can build your own. I have a few I have built for about $350 to $375 with descent brand name parts. You can watch a video on YouTube that shows how to put it all together, very easy. The lower is all you need to register and everything else is bough over the counter. Most lowers these days are multi cal and will shoot both .223 and 5.56. The only difference between the .223 and the 5.56 is the 5.56 has a thicker case to withstand more pressure. Outside of the cases and the bullet are identical in size.
      Last edited by jwill84; 11-27-2016, 07:26 AM.
      66, 351W FITECH, NP435, D20, D44, CURRIE 9", ARB, 4.5 WH, 2" bl, 37,'s

Comment

If you interested in used or previously owned unfired rifles look on calguns.net. There's a m&p with a few upgrades a guy in Visalia is selling for $600. No tax on a private transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by jwill84 View Post
          If you interested in used or previously owned unfired rifles look on calguns.net. There's a m&p with a few upgrades a guy in Visalia is selling for $600. No tax on a private transfer.
          I wouldn't mind buying a used one, but I'm not a member of calguns so I have no way to contact him. I couldn't download the picture that he posted to see what it looks like. I even tried to register on the site, but it would let me.

Comment

Pm me your email and I'll email you that pic. If your interested I'll get his number for you.

Comment

If your looking to stay on a budget I'd look into a smith and Wesson m&p. You can pick one up for about $650 or less if you find one on sell. Or if you have more time to look around and collect parts you can build your own. I have a few I have built for about $350 to $375 with descent brand name parts. You can watch a video on YouTube that shows how to put it all together, very easy. The lower is all you need to register and everything else is bough over the counter. Most lowers these days are multi cal and will shoot both .223 and 5.56. The only difference between the .223 and the 5.56 is the 5.56 has a thicker case to withstand more pressure. Outside of the cases and the bullet are identical in size.
              The issue is not the lower. It's the chamber. The throat or leade is shorter in the .223 chamber. Here's a link. Scroll down to where it says, ".223 and 5.56 chamber differences".

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Steed View Post
                The issue is not the lower. It's the chamber. The throat or leade is shorter in the .223 chamber. Here's a link. Scroll down to where it says, ".223 and 5.56 chamber differences".
                You have the link?

I understand what you're referring to in the 5.56 chamber versus the 223 chamber. The throat is longer in the 5.56 chamber to accommodate the higher pressures of the case. My point was that both cases are identical in dimensions and that a majority of the factory rifles these days are chambered in 5.56 and are branded multi Cal.
                Last edited by jwill84; 11-29-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Wish the Canadian govt didn't deem the AR as a restricted weapon, it really is a semi auto....just from what I gather is they say too easy to go full auto?

Comment

You have the link?

I understand what you're referring to in the 5.56 chamber versus the 223 chamber. The throat is longer in the 5.56 chamber to accommodate the higher pressures of the case. My point was that both cases are identical in dimensions and that a majority of the factory rifles these days are chambered in 5.56 and are branded multi Cal.
                    Doh... I forgot to include the link in my post above. Here it is:

https://thearmsguide.com/645/is-ther...-223-and-5-56/

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB View Post
                      Wish the Canadian govt didn't deem the AR as a restricted weapon, it really is a semi auto....just from what I gather is they say too easy to go full auto?
                      Nope, full auto is illegal unless you have a class-3 permit which is almost impossible to get. "Converting" to full auto is more work / a helluva lot harder than what the media hypes.
                      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Still illegal in Canada.

Comment

Say hello to my li'l friend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2054.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	559.7 KB
ID:	274395

Comment