Opinions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions....

So I've been looking to get a Ruger 10/22 for plinking and getting the kiddos into shooting, but finding .22lr is difficult at best. A buddy at work was talking about the Savage 17hmr and apparently the ammo is "plentiful". My question is which do you prefer for plinking, cost, ammo and kid "friendly"?

http://www.basspro.com/Savage-93R17-...hart-container
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Re: Opinions....

.17hmr is a fun round, and having fired that same Savage model I seriously questioned why I even have my 10/22. With a scope, that rifle is very impressive especially at longer range. Recoil is still very light and I like that its a bolt action vs. semi-auto, especially for a young shooter.

I have so much .22lr ammo on hand that I may never shoot it all, and that is really what keeps me from switching over to the .17hmr. I guess if .17hmr is more plentiful then that's one big strength it has going for it in this day and age.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

I don't have an 17hmr. would like one but I bet it is close to my Rem. 5mm with that being said it should be un-American to not have a 22.
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I don't understand why .22 LR is so scarce. Are preppers everywhere afraid of a zombie squirrel takeover?
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I think it was all due to the fear of a detachable magazine ban by Feinstein and Lee. Can't really find it, if you do it's $$$$
          '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Pleanty of 22lr on gunbot. Your just going to pay for it. Picked up some shorts for $10 a box. Ouch.
            67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
            69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
            69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
            79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
            67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
              I don't understand why .22 LR is so scarce. Are preppers everywhere afraid of a zombie squirrel takeover?
              Before ammo got extremely scarce, every time I would buy .45 I'd pick up a mega pack or two of .22lr with it. I am glad that I did, prices for .22lr are through the roof. Though I wish I'd have bought more .45 because its never around and I'm afraid to waste too much of it at the range now. Wouldn't call what I did "prepping" but when the squirrels rise up, you know where to come!

Originally posted by FFMDX View Post
              I think it was all due to the fear of a detachable magazine ban by Feinstein and Lee. Can't really find it, if you do it's $$$$
              Exactly...
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

You can find .22lr if you look hard enough but it's expensive. Eventually the shortage will subside just like the .223 did.

Comment

17HMR is a good round but ammo is a bit spendy and always will be. 22lr is being controlled by horders. Any shop that is selling 22lr for inflated prices should be abandoned. on any given Friday I can walk into Dicks Sporting goods @ 9am and buy a brick of 22 for $24.

You also might want to look at rifles more their sizes Sean. I picked up a crickett for ben and it fits him good. The wife's 10/22 is a bit big and a little heavy.
                  72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                    ....but when the squirrels rise up, you know where to come!
                    ROTFLMAO!!!! Sounds like a Pinky & The Brain episode...
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                    X