Say a guy bought a pistol...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say a guy bought a pistol...

... from an old man (now dead) a few years back Say it came with no paperwork Now if the pistol was a vehicle he could get it registered after some DMV work I'm thinking if the guy wanted to make that gun legal he might lose it or even worse Anybody have experience I could pass on to a guy?
    Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Re: Say a guy bought a pistol...

How old is the pistol and was it ever registered? If it's old enough to have been purchased without being registered and it has not been registered to anyone, then I believe it is legal to own it without registering. You just have to fib if johnny law asks when you bought it.
    If it does need to be registered, that is a question for an FFL.

Comment

Not that old. But I wonder how old that would have to be. I know another "guy" who inherited a sweet nickle plated pearl handle .38 colt police positive special (1931) from his grandfather who used it when he was a revenuer back in Alabama in the '30s and '40s. Looks like this...
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice.....
        Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

IF that were anyone I knew in that particular situation I would tell them to keep that pretty little pistol in a safe place and enjoy shooting it on the back 40. There are certainly some FFL types on this site that will hopefully shed a little more legaleez on this hypothetical situation but, IMO, a firearm acquired that pre-dates all the registration crap would be worth its weight in gold in this day and age. Not that I know anyone that would have any of those in their safe...

By the way Henry, my brother called and said he got the bottle this morning. Thanks!
          Last edited by Fungus232; 12-11-2013, 10:38 PM.
          sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Im with ^

Comment

Originally posted by Henry66 View Post
              Not that old. But I wonder how old that would have to be. I know another "guy" who inherited a sweet nickle plated pearl handle .38 colt police positive special (1931) from his grandfather who used it when he was a revenuer back in Alabama in the '30s and '40s. Looks like this...
              Prior to 1991 private party transfers did not require an FFL.

Comment

^ Maybe that old.

Comment

Yea 1991 sounds about right. The last one a guy a know bought without a FFL was in 1989.
                  That police special is beautiful.

Comment

Who the hell register's guns....
                    Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

If the guy wanted he could self register with DOJ and send them 19 bucks and the deal would be done. But as an FFL I have been told several of folks that live in rural California don't register much.

But if you pm me for my number we can talk if you want. I would tell the guy not worry much about it

Comment

The super secret code talk used in this thread is funny... The NSA would never be able to figure out something so complex... Hypothetically speaking...
                        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I know its awesome all the 007 stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                            The super secret code talk used in this thread is funny... The NSA would never be able to figure out something so complex... Hypothetically speaking...
                            Just part of the fun. My (friend's) sense of humor is not registered... hypothetically.

Comment

From what I remember, there is a certain amount of time btwn receipt of a supposed firearm and "required" registration.....(days to wks)

I know of a guy who knows another guy that got his Grandfather's service Colt .357 Trooper and Model 94 that may or may not be registered... Both of them were given the recommendation to just lock 'em up and plink with them once in awhile. BUT...just DON'T use them in any kind of "home defense" situation, as they will be held by PD during the investigation, and that's when things can get sticky....

Aluminum foil hat is off now.....
                              '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Working...
                              X