T.V. tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.V. tech

Alright guys, with the move into a new house & our deposit returned on the 'ol one I'm seriously considering upgrading from our archaic 27" 100# T.V. cause I'm sick of the room it takes up and lugging it around. Looking to see what the hell the dealio is between plasma, LCD & LED boob toobs. I know LED is the latest and greatest and seeing what you guys like for the price. We've got all the name brand stuff in the exchanges over here and get some pretty good deals. Got my eye on the Samsung 40" LED w/ the accompanying sound bar system and DVD/Blue Ray player. Just got Dish hooked up today and get all the HD stuff so mights well have a tube that takes advantage of it!

I'll admit, with all the 4 wheeled projects going it's damn hard to break loose of the cash for a damn idiot box but the fam does spend a decent amount of time infront of it & it's been 10 years since I bought one...
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Re: T.V. tech

From what I've heard most LCD TVs have Samsung screens and LG components. I'm not sure how true that is but I do know Samsung is one of the best TVs you can buy!
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

i bought a 40 sung 4 years ago and bought a 32 sung 2 years ago. no extended warranty and haven't needed to do crap to them. both are 1080p lcd's. even the sony has a sammy lcd in it. samsung cornered the lcd manufacturing long before lcd tv's became popular. go bigge on it. the wife only whines for a little while.
      6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Plasma has the best picture but they are heavy and are subject to burn in. LCD is probably the best all around TV for the Price. My knowledge of LED is minimal so I am not sure about them yet. I agree that Samsung is probably the best brand.

Comment

LED but make sure you can see the screen from all angles.
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I got the 46'' Samsung a year ago. 1 week before the manufacutres warenty was up the sound went out. Best Buy came to my house and replaced the internals of the t.v. no questions asked. Besides this one instance it has been the best t.v. I have ever had.
            302, edelbrock heads, roller rockers, intake, sanderson shorty headers,

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the help fellas. Sounds like the Sami toob is a winner. I'll have to keep my eye posted for another sale. They spring some pretty good package deals out here in the base exchanges from time to time on tv, sound system & dvd/ blue ray players. Dad's day is coming up & might score some good gear!

Comment

50'' sammy here and 3 years not one issue.
                75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Whats your price range?

I did a lot of research before I ended up with a Sony LED 3D last year. But it was a toss up between Samsung and Sony, I just found a good deal on teh Sony on slickdeals.
                  WT 4x4
                  91' One Ton Bronco
                  1971 Bronco
                  9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

I want to be in the $700 or less for the tv & be in the $1K range for the whole package (sound & dvd/blue ray). I know I can do it here on base if I catch a sale & stay in the 40"-42" class LEDs. I can come in $200-$300 under that if I go with plasma or LCD in the same size.

Comment

Really Plasma's are still a great TV. The picture quality can not be beat. Their downfall is that they run hot, are power hogs, image will decrease over time (although that is must better these days), and they can suffer burn in. But the burn in is not permanent, like in the past. My neighbor just got one and it looks amazing. And they are cheaper, compared to LED anyway.

The LCD with LED is still a newer technology. The lower priced edge lit ones are ok, but you can see a lot of “clouding” or “flashing” in the corners during black (credits) or dark scenes. If you were set on an LED look for one with Local Dimming feature. That can help counter those affects. Like I mentioned I have a 3D TV. Really I just liked the TV, but the package came with a 3D player and Glasses.. But don’t waste your money… it’s a novelty. The only thing that bothers me a little about my TV is that when viewing the TV at an angle it washes out a little. Not bad, but I notice it. Plasma will not do that. On the plus the LCD TV run very cool, and light as hell, super skinny these days, use very little energy, and do not suffer burn in. My TV is in a nook without a lot of fresh air able to get around it, so heat was a concern of mine with the plasma. Lastly the LED TV’s are a lot brighter so if it is a sunny room, then look towards LCD/LED. I ended up with this TV after months of looking for a deal: KDL-55HX800 and am still in love with it!

By no means and I an expert at this, so take what I write as opinion only. I could be completely wrong, these are just he points I was lead to believe while I was looking for a TV. I learned a lot here: http://www.avsforum.com/
                      WT 4x4
                      91' One Ton Bronco
                      1971 Bronco
                      9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Alot of what I learned is where in the room is the screen going to go. different brands have different screen finishes as to how they reflect the room surroundings and light in the room. all the mfg's have screens to suite different surroundings. we have a Sony 52" with a matt finnish screen cause we have a HUGE window in the room that it's in and it doesnt get reflection or glare off that window. You can get a great deal on base but go "shop" in town and talk to the people who sell them and find out the ins and outs of every brand and screen type there is. Also there is about 3 different grades of these things as to the quality and sharpness of pic in all the brands. just because the price is good doesnt mean its the best bang for your buck. it all comes down to 1 or 2 letters in the model code for the same brand and size tv. Learn the difference.
                        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Some solid advice! Thanks again guys.

Comment

LCD's here for years, Samsung also, no probs....
                            68 Slightly modified
                            67 LUBR once again
                            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

For plasma go pannisonic. I went 50" g15, it was rated the best in class two years ago when i got. Been great ever since. Get you hdmi cables from parts express.com , don't get them from best buy or radio shack. Way over priced on there cable.
                              70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Working...
                              X