Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

31 spline / Small bearing Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31 spline / Small bearing Is it worth it?

I will be going to 35"'s next month so I want to upgrade to 31 spline axles and a full spool. Is there anyway i can get this in a SB 9"? Is it worth spending the $$? Should i just look for a BB 9" and spend the $$ on that?
    Will the 28 spline Handle the 35"'s or am i looking for trouble?

Thanks
    Aaron
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

In the long run, you'll be happier with the BB 9. If you're building an axle, I would suggest making the jump to 35 spline now. I know you're only running 35's now but you know you'll go bigger someday I built my full width bb 9" using 31 spline axles and a NASCAR Detroit. Now, with 39.5 Iroks, I REALLY wish I had spend a few extra $$ and went 35 spline when I had the chance. Oh well, you wheel, break and learn
    Mark Langford
    Dysfunctional Rockcrawlers Member

91 YJ, 6.0 Vortec, T18, 4:1 D300, D60's 5.13's ARB & Detroit, R.E. SOA Leafs in front & 5.5" RE Coils w/4-link in the rear, 42" Iroks on Walker Evans Beadlocks.

Comment

I would not put any money in it, the small bearing is just not worth it.
      I would just go get a new 9 inch, go to the junk yards and bring a tape measure. some of the F100's had a 9 inch thats a 62 inches wide (WMS, stock is 58.5 rear, front is 60 or 61)
      This will have 31 spline axles and you would not be able to tell the difference in witdh.

I do agree about going 35 spline, I love mine but I would get that f100 9 inch and run that until it blows.
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Definitely make it a boat anchor...

Buy the FW HD housing like you saw in mw shop...
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Wow thats cool does anyone know the years that this is in? Not needing to have it shortend is always a good thing..
          Thanks
          Aaron

Originally posted by welndmn
          I would not put any money in it, the small bearing is just not worth it.
          I would just go get a new 9 inch, go to the junk yards and bring a tape measure. some of the F100's had a 9 inch thats a 62 inches wide (WMS, stock is 58.5 rear, front is 60 or 61)
          This will have 31 spline axles and you would not be able to tell the difference in witdh.

I do agree about going 35 spline, I love mine but I would get that f100 9 inch and run that until it blows.
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Now that I have heard everyone describe the small bearing 28 spline axles as boat anchors, does anyone have a spare drivers side for my 72 laying around. I seem to have broke one today shifting to second. Thank goodness for the spool, or I would have never made it to work. Once I get it torn apart tonight, I will post some pics of all that went south.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I've got some if you wanna come get 'em.

Comment

1036 miles is a little to far I think, and you know how I know how many miles it is. Long day.
                Marc D.

Comment

Definitely go w a Big Bearing set-up. Initally hard to find, but worth the extra effort. Good luck!!!

Comment

I would just like to get it together to get to the bronco get together in San Jose next month.
                    Marc D.

Comment

Working...
                    X