Thoughts and feedback about rooftop tents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts and feedback about rooftop tents

I want to do some camping this spring and summer; have not done much of that in a few years and I am looking to increase the comfort and convenience level.
    As I've mentioned I don't really have much desire to go do hard rock crawling anymore. My interests are centered around going to scenic places both on and off the beaten path. I am pretty content to spend a weekend next to a mountain lake or somewhere on the coast, and go hiking with my dog and maybe do a little fishing. I am in it for the destination, not necessarily the journey.

I'll cut to the chase - my interest in a rooftop tent has increased lately - primarily looking at the hard shell "wedge" style - some of which can contain bedding when closed. The idea of rolling into camp (wherever that may be), popping up the tent and being able to just crawl in and go to bed with minimal fuss appeals to me. Call it laziness or what have you.. I don't mind camping in a ground tent; I have comfortable sleeping mats and nice sleeping bags, but it only ever gets so good, and when you're going from place to place, having to set up and tear down camp several times over gets a little old.

My thoughts are that since a rooftop tent can be mounted to anything, I'd basically just move it back and forth between my bronco and my F150 depending on the kind of trip I'm taking. On the truck, I would make or buy some load bearing bed rail bars and mount it to those. For the bronco, I'd fabricate a system to mount it to the roll cage. If I go to any of the various Bronco events I could tow the bronco with my truck, and have the RTT mounted to the truck as a base camp.

So... for those of you who own a rooftop tent and/or have experience with them - do you find them to be comfortable and convenient? Some say it kinda sucks to wake up in the middle of the night to answer nature's call - frankly that's not much fun in a ground tent either. Others say it sucks because you have to find a level place to park. I am pretty resourceful and creative - there's always a way to level the vehicle. Finally some Say it makes it less convenient if you want to take a day drive and leave your campsite. I can see that argument, however most often once I set up a spot, I stay there until it's time to drive to the next stop. I am not the biggest fan of setting up in a designated "RV Park" however I will do it if it puts me near somewhere cool.

Anyway - again I'm just looking for feedback. My focus is on aluminum hard shelled wedge style tents such as the Roofnest Falcon Pro. They are not cheap, but I've seen some very lightly used models for sale, as well as "scratch and dent" models heavily discounted by several of the manufacturers. Most of the models I've looked at have room darkening fabric, offer better insulation and have a memory foam or similar mattress included. All of these seem like plusses that outweigh the negatives.

What am I not considering here?
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

A few months ago I was looking at the falcon pro also and was very close to ordering one. I liked the idea of a quick set up and a more comfortable mattress. It would be used for an annual over landing trip to death Valley with my buddies and occasional camping trips with my kids. What changed my mind was The cost of the tent for how little it would be used each year and not wanting to drill holes in the camper shell of my F250. Another drawback was the weight of the tent. It would have raised the center of gravity and The thought of tweaking my back trying to get it on and off the vehicle. I ended up building a sleeping platform in the back of my truck on one side. It has worked out pretty good so far. What’s nice about the falcon pro is you can mount mountain bikes or what not to the aluminum top with their track system.
    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

CityHick, as you know off FB, I have a soft shell RTT. I have used it a few times now and so much prefer it over a ground tent.

soon enough I won’t be building another rack for my Ram like I had on my F150. Gonna go with a mid rise one so it’s easier for me to set up. And it probably will stay on there 24/7 until I get my brothers camper. Other reason I want to keep it is for that day I get to hit the Rubicon and Fordyce with you guys interested, the RTT would be swapped over to the bronco. My brother and I been talking more deep backcountry trips where we wouldn’t be camping at the trailhead but more so at the destination so this is a great option for me.

Comment

I would never put one on the Bronco. I don't have a want or need to install and take it off when I'm done for the weekend. I haven't unloaded the bronco since last time I took it out. Hahaha. Plus the bronco isn't a very comfortable ride to be driving for a relaxing weekend at a campsite. I don't understand people that leave it bolted to the roof 24/7. The weather isn't good for them and your fuel mileage goes down. But I guess they like having it for the world to see.

What I would consider is mounting a hard shell to an old bed converted trailer. Install a "Decked" floor for storage and make it a campsite ready mini camper trailer. Have everything you could imagine, generator, coffee maker, BBQ, griddle, stove, sink, stereo, 12v solar system... You know basically a travel trailer.
        I have a trailer that I would consider doing that too. Plus it's an old 65 body that matches the bronco. I could tow it to a campsite, wheel the bronco and come back to a "home sweet home" campsite. Or hitch it to the F150, unhitch and go sight seeing, hunting, or not be tied down because my campsite is my vehicle.

My $0.02
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Good feedback, thanks all!

I do not love the idea of leaving an RTT bolted to any vehicle full time (nor would I do that), and I don't love the idea of mounting/unmounting it every time I go anywhere. I do like the idea of having a nicer place to sleep, and an easier time setting up camp. I like the idea more for my F150 than I do my bronco and yes, for the casual weekend trip that doesn't involve much 4-wheeling it would be on the truck. I've considered some of the truck shells with pop-up roofs as well, though that's something I would prefer not to store, and would want it off more than on.

Ryan I like your trailer idea!

I have been seeing far too many cool adventure rigs lately... Sprinters etc, and I'm trying to figure out a way to get part way there, using the vehicles I already have. As said I've not gone camping as much as I'd like to in the last few years. I might end up doing a few things to improve my ground tent setup, but my mind keeps wandering...
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Haven't been on here for awhile... But... I have an older Autohome Maggiolina AirTop that I have used a lot both on my Bronco (which as you may recall has a permanent hard top) and on my late model Jeep Grand Cherokee. I love it. The standard mattress was a bit thin so I augmented it with a double wide mattress from REI (yup, my gal and I have shared space in it a lot) and sleeping bag(s) as required for the trip at hand. Get to camp, level vehicle and a minute later bed is ready. My ex has a small iKamper that's pretty neat also. Shorter than mine so it fits compact vehicles better but a bit more work to pitch. But I've been on a couple of outings with my daughter who uses it on her late 4Runner and it seems pretty nice too. I've never found the top heaviness to be an issue. Full disclosure, I built an apparatus in my hangar that makes storing it and dropping it onto a vehicle a lot easier. If you happen to be up my way near Yolo County Airport let me know (530-219-3771) and I'll give you the nickel tour and a beer or two at the nearby roadhouse. I have pix I can share too.
            1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Thanks Lars. The Autohome model looks nice; I feel like that style may not give a comfortable amount of vertical clearance for sitting upright though. The wedge models appeal to me because of the higher ceiling at least on one end. I end up around the Sacramento area several times a year, and I do need to finally come visit your hangar and check out all your toys.

Life has thrown me a few curve balls this year but I've kept swinging. Landed in a new position at work with a lot of new responsibilities and learning. I do feel that at least some of my vacations need to be taken with the intent of getting outside of cell service. My hydroboost project has not been going so well and I'm not devoting much time to it. It did feel good to drive my Bronco around a little this weekend, even with my continued brake problems - but that's another topic.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

I can sit comfortably upright in mine. Likewise in the ex-wife's. Hers is a bit more elaborate to pitch but it has more space despite being more compact on the roof. That said I have a strong attachment to the wedge design, in no small part because back in the late 60's my dad designed and built one from scratch for my brother and I to sleep in on our typically long summer vacation trips. I have the one I have because I got a smokin' deal on it used, otherwise I most likely would have bought an Autohome Columbus. Those have the added benefit of being lighter.

Saw your hydroboost thread. Sux. I got lucky. My rig is the prototype for what eventually became the Hydratech offering, thought I've changed a few things. Using a Ford Superduty booster and a Dodge pickup-style master cylinder from one of the race car outfits. Zero issues. Having drum brakes in the back can complicate things but there are plenty of people using h-boost and rear drums successfully so I don't want to be absolutist in my comments.
                1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Working...
                X