Tool storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool storage

As this forum is full of creative types, I figured I'd start a thread about tool storage inside of our little rigs.

Currently, I have two nice quality canvas tool bags that I tend to toss into the rig whenever I hit the road or trail. This works, however I'm looking for ways to lock things down a bit more both for trips, and for my everyday errand running when I take the Bronco out. I am not necessarily looking for "bank vault" levels of security, but I would like to keep valuables out of sight and/or at least more difficult for someone to just grab and walk away with when I am parked around town.

I am seeing lots of very expensive options geared towards the Jeep crowd, most of which are very nice, but also way beyond anything that I need.

My usual road/trail setup includes an ARB fridge along with two small action packer totes, plus the usual tent, chair, pad, bag, clothes etc. I have slimmed down my gear a bit, but I tend to still pack heavy. Now that I have a dog again, I need to account for a place for him to ride again as well.

I am not a huge fan of the boxes that mount right inside of the tailgate since that hinders my ability to slide stuff into and out of the bed, so I know that my options are probably limited.

I figure with the NCB braintrust there are probably some unique, out of the box ideas that I've not yet considered.

Under-hood storage is basically out of the question; my engine bay is quite cramped!

Thanks in advance.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Following, as this is to be something I gonna need to dive into soon enough. I have decided I will be running a simple true ‘bucket’ seat, something like a low back suspension seat but not a plastic RCI seat!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	06047636-2D55-4BA4-853F-AE6E0BF2FC50.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	318090

Click image for larger version

Name:	67BDE46C-9B84-4955-AD69-73F97651F60F.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	318092

Here’s a couple of pics of how I do it. It’s a rail system where the rings are movable. In the first pic the box on the left is my tool box which includes a jumper box. The box on the right is recovery gear. They are heavy and held down with a ratchet strap. I’m loading up for Winter Fun Fest. The second pic is for bulky gear, clothes, etc. I use it when we go to the Northwest Bronco Roundup. It gets strapped down also. Closest the tailgate an ice chest and misc. gear also gets strapped down.
      Attached Files

Comment

I like that rail system a lot, and I've considered doing something similar before. This may have convinced me - that's very clean looking.
        My question here wasn't as clear as I should have made it - I am looking for permanent or nearly permanent tool storage for everyday use, stuff that I can leave in my (topless) Bronco more or less all the time. I carry some of the same kinds of tools in my F150 under the back seat all the time - though it's not as wide open as my Bronco tends to be.

I am now imagining a setup with rails like that where I could have a movable toolbox that's still somewhat difficult to remove from the rig. Thanks... you've got the wheels turning in my head now.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

The tuffy passenger seat box is pretty slick.

I've always pondered this idea but always come back to the same conclusion. I just have a tool roll and a craftsman 250piece mechanics set. It has 75% of what I need.

The boxes aboit in steeds ride are pretty cool.
          they carry them at HomeDepot. I like how the lids open.
          I may get a couple smaller black boxes for random tools like prybars, hub socket, spare fuel pump
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
            The tuffy passenger seat box is pretty slick.
            I agree, it is! Unfortunately it won't work for me - years ago when I was doing rust repair to my tub, I welded in the wild horses passenger's seat shelf thing into my floor and then sprayed liner into the whole tub. For 16 years I've always kept my jumper cable bag down there. Today I put my SAE and Metric combination wrench sets into a tool roll and slid it in next to the jumper cable bag. I am going to get another tool roll for other hand tools and slide it into that space as well. I think this solves the majority of my tool storage situation without adding any more permanent fixtures. They're out of sight and that's all I really care about.

I also carry a lot of "stuff" in my Tuffy center console. I am looking at what can be removed from that space since it is already there, and lockable. I feel that between a couple of tool rolls in the passenger's seat "compartment" and a few other things in the Tuffy console, I have solved this need, and re-claimed a bit more space in the bed of my rig for trips. Now if I could find a slick hidey hole for my winch/recovery gear I'd be in good shape (some ideas on this are brewing).

Ryan I've gone back to look at your rear shelf a few times lately, I may make something like that for my rig as well. I like the functionality and that it is removable. I have a few other ideas that I'm kicking around though they are beyond the scope of this discussion...
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

What do you know... the rack I made is for sale! I took it out recently. I was going to save it for the swap meet this year.

Ive named it the "RickRack" bevause i got the idea from Rick.

Nothing wrong with it, just made a new rear bumper and tire rack and it doesnt work with it.
              {o===o}
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                What do you know... the rack I made is for sale! I took it out recently. I was going to save it for the swap meet this year.

Ive named it the "RickRack" bevause i got the idea from Rick.

Nothing wrong with it, just made a new rear bumper and tire rack and it doesnt work with it.
                What fun is it for me to buy a completed part when I can spend 3x as much money and an entire weekend over-thinking it? lol. I may take it off your hands, though I have some different design ideas that I'm considering. Yours is nice and would probably do exactly what I want. Perhaps if we meet up at the WH event I can take a look at it in person.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Sounds good.
                  Pictures are on my thread
                  {o===o}

Comment

Working...
                  X