1973 Bronco needs work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Bronco needs work

I always hate asking for car advice, as I pretty much know the right answer - Frame off restoration of every part. Value per dollar long term isn't in bailing wire, duct tape, and POR15, it's in repairing rust, painting metal, replacing rubber, and repairing worn assemblies. But I don't really want to.

Questions first, and then background.

Is it appreciably more work to swap out an engine as carbed, then convert it back to factory EFI later? Or does configuring the new engine with the factory EFI from the outset save much redundant work?
    If I have to rewire (and or re-engine) my bronco, is that the best time to pull the tub, dolly it, and send it out for body and paint? Is there a better time? I think the major components between the tub, the frame and drive train are wires, steering, pedal linkages, and gas tanks hang off the body, right? Is there a better (more synergistic) time to pull the tub?

Background
    I guess my problem is I already have two non-running projects, a 1967 mustang coupe I've tinkered with since maybe 2004, and a gutted 1964 convertible falcon with belly rot. I bought a (more or less) running and driving Bronco because I didn't want another 'project', but here I am.

So I'm looking at replacing my engine, it's worn out. I've got a 91 roller that was converted to carb/V belt. I've also got an explorer serpentine front dress from a 96 or 97, and an EFI setup from an 89 Lincoln Town car (EEC-IV A9F19). I'm debating converting to EFI when I rebuild the roller, knowing that includes a new rear tank with an internal pump, and new wiring.

Which is probably OK, since my current wiring is pretty shot. All my exterior lights work, and a couple in the cluster. The oil pressure gauge appears to be working, but it's reading low, and I've got nothing for water, fuel, or alternator. The heater doesn't work, and the hose is crumbling.

My floors are rusted through (localized to the floor pan/tunnel) , though fairly solid still, but that's just a slow rotting and spreading. My rear quarters and tail light panels have been cut up, and other than that it looks about like Doug's patina build. Between floorboard weakness and ancient body mounts, it's sagging a bit, and the bottom of the doors are kicking out, as are the tops of my tailgate. I'm thinking of doing a 1 inch lift when i replace the mounts to facilitate the EFI swap whenever that ends up happening.

And I guess my transfer case is stuck in rear High, but i can still disengage the front.

It also reeks, I mean wow. it doesn't leak enough for anything to get to the driveway, but most everything is wet. I'm trying to trace the lines for the vapor separator to see if any are broken or disconnected, but i haven't been able to yet.

Taking into consideration your stalled car projects... There are many varibles to your situation

I prefer doing body work with the tub on the frame, as in replacing floor panels. This can be done while the rig is still mobile.
    Not seeing your body mounts, replace those first so that the tub is properly supported. Do the floors next.

Now pull the drivetrain, clean/paint the engine compartment, bottom of floors replacements can be seam sealed. and painted.

New engine installed, if doing EFI, run your dual fuel lines before the reinstall of the engine. One can be used for the Carb until you make the switch.

Go Explorer Serp on the new motor.

EFI can come later... Chassis Wiring harness 1st.

Hopefully, this will keep you in a driving Bronco and you can start the body work/EFI conversion after you decide which car project is the most important.
    Last edited by 904Bronco; 05-25-2021, 07:19 PM.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Super, I appreciate the guidance. I’m ordering my lift kit tomorrow, but I have to drive the bronco back to my shop in alum rock to work on it, can’t do it at home.

in the short term, the mustang is a higher priority, as I plan on selling it. I bought it in pieces, replaced the engine, trans, clutch, brakes, exhaust, driveline, tank and fuel line, then blew the head gasket (engine was used, I didn’t rebuild it). Once the engine is back together, I need to redo the interior and get it painted.

Longer term, the bronco is the priority, I just don’t feel comfortable devaluing it by making a running bronco a disassembled project and lose momentum. I see enough people trying to sell projects like that, and I don’t want to be that guy.

the falcon is a Hail Mary, a basket case I wanted to do a full tube frame on. If it goes nowhere and I just burned the money I paid for it, that’s fine.

Comment

Working...
      X