No announcement yet.

Engine rebuild, short block, or crate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuild, short block, or crate?

My 74 302 (Unk mileage) is probably due for a rebuild of some sort, be nice to have a little more power. I tried to get quotes from machine shops in town(Napa), but when I advised I just wanted a daily driver and not a race engine they lost interest and never gave a quote.

What would it cost for a shop to build me a 306 short block and would it even be worth it ? I don’t have a crazy budget to buy the blue print 306 crate motor, but it is rather appealing.
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

A 306, due to boring the cylinders? Or a 306 stroker? If you don't want to rebuild it, have you looked into a Jasper motor? Machine shops are great, but like you found out, they are more interested in cool, custom engine work
    1973 Ford Bronco: 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, NP 435/D20. Holley Projection, 4.56 gears.

Comment

I put a ford reman long block from a 93 mustang in my 76 bronco and couldn't be happier

Comment

Summit sells a long block that supposedly makes 300 horsepower for $2800.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp06

That said I went with the Blueprint 306 Bronco Edition for about $4300. The dyno sheet that came with it says it made 381 horsepower.

Comment

Yeah I’ve been looking at everything. I bought a 66 Mustang that had a Jasper II engine and I thought it was pretty decent for a driver. I have a 302 that I would build to match the blueprint engine if it was cost effective, plus I think it would be really cool to build the engine with my son. I was requesting quotes for the shop to make a 306 short block and I would do the top end myself. So far no shop is interested in the work.
          1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

How about Rex Hutchinson or Parrish automotive? I've had both these shops do machine work for me and everything worked out great.Parrish does stock engines and are located in North Highlands.

Comment

One of my close friends has his own machine shop up here. Over beers several times he has told me how even competent guys fk up valvetrain etc. Either go long block built or crate motor. I won’t even blink any more at let the experienced guys do what they good at and finish the rest. I apply this to my builds, my Reno’s, I no longer feel the need to have my signature on everything. He can build me an aluminum headed stroker any day. I am looking at wiring harness issues between the 302 and the 351 in my f150, that’s gonna determine if I going 347 or 393.

stroker cranks can be gotten cheap!
              Last edited by PhantomEB; 08-14-2020, 06:18 AM.

Comment

I would tear the motor down and give the machinist.
                the block, crack, rods and heads.

Machine/balance and rebuild with your kid.
                {o===o}
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                Originally posted by CityHick
                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                  I would tear the motor down and give the machinist.
                  the block, crack, rods and heads.

Machine/balance and rebuild with your kid.
                  Maybe the crack will help motivate him to get it done quicker! LOL.

Comment

Whoops.
                    say no to crack kids!

Crank.....well I think I should say crankshaft.
                    {o===o}
                    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                    Originally posted by CityHick
                    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

you 2 are just to funny...lol
                      73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Working...
                      X