Alternator rebuild recommendations in south Bay Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator rebuild recommendations in south Bay Area

Any recommendations on an alternator rebuild place? I found AutoLectrics near 880 and 101 and San Jose Generator and Starter near downtown SJ. It's not for a Bronco but a Mazda B3000 (crappy Ford 3.0 V6). I didn't find anything closer to me (Mtn View).

Gil,

There is also Gilroy generator, not that it is any closer to you. Something is San Mateo might be a possibility?

I have used SJ Generator, but that was before the owner died. It is run by his Family now.

Auto Lectrics, well they couldn't figure out a Perm Magnet starter solution for me in manual Bronco and that's how I ended up at SJ Gen. And I haven't been back since...

Doug
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Thanks Doug. I pulled it this afternoon between meetings and took it to Oreilly's. To keep this Bronco related, I drove the '66 to get there. The kid tested it 3 times. The first he said had an error. The second and third tests indicated it was bad but he said the machine said the test leads had a fault. So he said to take it to another Oreilly for confirmation. I think I'll just take it to SJ Generator and have them test it and rebuild if necessary. They're only 20mins from me.

Comment

SJ Generator did a rebuild for $120. I dropped it off at about 930 and got a call it was ready at 1pm. They replaced the bearings, voltage reg, slip ring, and brushes and re-soldered the diodes. The brush grooves in the ring were deep and he said the brushes were at about 20%. It's the original alternator with 145k miles. The rebuild was cheaper than a rebuild from O'reilly's and I think the quality is higher. They give a 1 year warranty. I'd use them again.

Comment

Working...
        X