Need a Recommendation for EFI, non-Ford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Recommendation for EFI, non-Ford

For those who know, I do side work. Dr. Bill whose 77 Bronco I have worked on for years, has asked me to look into doing another EFI conversion.
    On a 79 Trans-Am, 400 cid Pontiac motor with a 4 speed.
    I am looking for a bolt on kit, which retains the iconic scoop on top of the air cleaner assembly.

I know the early EFI kits had some issues and there were only a few of them. And now there are many more manufacturers and choices.

What does everyone recommend or advise to stay away from. Thanks. Doug.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

If you are thinking of a throttle body I would recommend a Holley Sniper with their Hyperspark ignition system. That way the ECU controls the timing and you can set the timing curve from the handheld monitor.

Comment

I've read and heard a lot of good things about the Holley Sniper. I put one on my Rock Rat project that I am building now, but I haven't fired it up yet. So I don't have any first hand experience with it yet. But this kit will allow you to run any air cleaner set up that you want to that would normally go on a carb.

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen... Paul, aka: Dirtdonk, has recommended the progressive throttle linkage for the Sniper as well...

Comment

My dad put a FiTech system onto one of his old cars. It was problematic for him for a while but after a bunch of calls and troubleshooting, it seems pretty good now.
          I know that experiences with FiTech seem to vary; some swear by it, some swear at it.

I considered doing GM TBI on my Bronco for a while before I happened upon my Ford lightning lower manifold and switched directions - GM TBI is pretty darn simple and given that its OEM parts, you can get parts for it everywhere when the need arises. I had it on my old Blazer and that was a super reliable rig.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
            Thanks Gentlemen... Paul, aka: Dirtdonk, has recommended the progressive throttle linkage for the Sniper as well...
            yes, do that.

this guy is pretty helpful with normal pricing as far as I recall.

Ive been runing a sniper on my stroker with decent results. Had one of the injectors fail and holley replaced with an entirely new setup. I run a total basic tune, but I believe you can get a little further in to it if you understand that stuff well.

this guy is pretty helpful as well if you want to step up to terminator or custom tunes.

Comment

Holley Sniper will be what I go with when I go EFI.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                I’m not running progressive linkage and don’t have any problems. If you are going to run progressive linkage you will want a single plane manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Steed View Post

I’m not running progressive linkage and don’t have any problems. If you are going to run progressive linkage you will want a single plane manifold.
                  Well I see that Sniper makes a kit to bolt directly to the factory Manifold that the current factory Q-jet is attached too... Their kit options quickly raise the price up, and I am leaning towards replacing the 40 y/o fuel tank so he can run an in-tank fuel pump.
                  You can also buy another distributor so the Sniper can control timing to... Ca-Ching $$$

Thanks all for you comments, Appreciated. Sorry to continue to watch this Forum die a slow death...

Comment

I used the Holly Sniper master kit, if an idiot like me can install it and have it work then anybody can do it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Im late to the party but heres my $0.02.

Stay as far away from throttle body as possible. Waste of money and time. I am beyond disappointed in FiTech.
                      {o===o}
                      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                      Originally posted by CityHick
                      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                        Im late to the party but heres my $0.02.

Stay as far away from throttle body as possible. Waste of money and time. I am beyond disappointed in FiTech.
                        I was wondering when you would chime in Ryan!

One of the requirements is that I have to maintain the through the hood backward scoop, so TB it is... Or not.

Comment

just because you had problems with fitech doesnt mean they are all bad does it?

Comment

It’s been a 50/50 split of good things and bad things about FiTech the more I talk to people.

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomEB View Post
                              It’s been a 50/50 split of good things and bad things about FiTech the more I talk to people.
                              FiTech seems to have more problems than the Sniper. What made me choose Sniper is the horror stories I heard about FiTech tech support. Long waits on the phone. Even when the Sniper tech guys were working from home due to COVID I was able to get right through.
                              Last edited by 70 Steed; 06-09-2020, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X