Smoke Wood; Which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke Wood; Which one?

What is the best local wood for smoking beef? Almond, oak, Cherry, Apple, Peach??? ...I have always used hickory but it is expensive and I am looking for a local bulk wood that I can buy by the 1/4 cord or so... What is you experience?
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

i like to use bay leaves on the chicken and apple on pork and beef
    70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
      What is the best local wood for smoking beef? Almond, oak, Cherry, Apple, Peach??? ...I have always used hickory but it is expensive and I am looking for a local bulk wood that I can buy by the 1/4 cord or so... What is you experience?
      Of the ones you listed apple is probably the best, espically for lighter meats like chicken, pork, fish. Might be good with beef? Never tried it on anything but fish. A little sweeter and lighter smell and flavor. Great on fish mixed 50% with Alder.
      The standby Mesquete and hickory are best for darker, richer meets like beef and big game because of their strong flavor.
      Never tried any of the others you have listed.
      I think I would stay away from oak. Can't imagine that would taste any good.
      Almond might be a little bitter too.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Never thought of bay leafs. Where do you get enough of these?
        I use oak and almond for BBQing. Works awesome....
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

bay tree's are pretty comon here on the coast... they're all over.
          Come on boy, roll over!

My Bronco Build Up.

Comment

Working...
          X