Visit to Baja Broncos HQ and Death Wobble, among other things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit to Baja Broncos HQ and Death Wobble, among other things

My wife and I drove the '66 to my cousin's wedding last weekend in Sonoma. Traffic through the City sucked on a Saturday afternoon as usual. I noticed the engine temp creep up to 230 while we were stuck in traffic between GG park and the Presidio. I couldn't recall ever driving the '66 in stop and go traffic after an hour on the freeway so I'd never seen the engine get that hot. I'm sure the cooling system could use a flushing. After we crossed the GG bridge, I noticed the Bronco would shake a little when we hit a rough patch of road every now and then. Each time it happened it got a little worse. I thought maybe something in the suspension was loose or maybe a wheel weight fell off. It was intermittent and mild so I didn't worry about it.
    On Sunday before we headed to Baja Broncos HQ, I did a quick check of bolts, lug nuts, and wheel weights. Nothing seemed loose or missing so we headed to Santa Rosa. Google had us taking some back roads which was a pleasant drive until we saw a sign that said to drive carefully because there have been 13 accidents in the last 6 months. Nothing happened as we never got faster than 35. We hadn't visited Andrew, Flannery, and Emily since they moved from Saratoga so it was good to see them. After a lovely brunch, we got the full tour. It's just like the Saratoga place but bigger. 2 car attached garage and a 3 car shop in back. I thought it would be a his and hers with Flannery's car in the attached garage. But no, it had a customer Bronco and some motorcycles in it. 3 Broncos and a Courier in the shop. 4 or 5 Broncos, a race Courier, and 2 Mustangs outside the shop. Three of the Broncos are former racers and we heard some of the history behind them. Surprisingly I didn't take any pictures. We had to get home to the kids and relieve my mother-in-law so we headed out.
    We planned on stopping at the San Rafael A&W and right before the exit, our passenger mirror fell off. It's the second time that's happened. The mirror pivot is just pressed into the arm and it fell out. Somewhere in the weeds on the shoulder of south bound 101 before exit 454B is a Bronco side mirror. Last time it happened was on our way home after the first Wild Horses Roundup somewhere on 680.
    After rootbeer floats and another meander through the City we got onto 280. Right before the 380 interchange the Bronco started to shake like we were driving through Little Sluice at warp speed. I took the next exit as quickly as a Bronco undergoing death wobble would let me and stopped at a gas station. I've owned my 73 for 20 years and the 66 for at least 10 and have never had the pleasure of experiencing death wobble. We shook so much the rear view fell off the windshield. When I was checking the passenger side blind spot to take the exit, I saw the passenger door window frame banging against the top and windshield. I crawled underneath to see if there was anything obvious and everything seemed tight. We decided to be safe and take El Camino home. Because of habit, I kept checking rear and side view mirrors that were no longer there. It took twice as long as it should have but we made it home.
    From what I remember reading, the track bar is the usual culprit of death wobble. So I guess I have track bar bushings in my future.

Re: Visit to Baja Broncos HQ and Death Wobble, among other things

Cool story, glad you made it safe!
    I love visiting the Norton’s and BBU!

Comment

Gil great story, thanks for sharing. BBH

Check for a loose track bar... Bad bushings... How old are the tires? Basically, give the front end a complete once over.
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

What they said. Glad you and the Bronco survived it's death wobble experience.
        If it continues after you've checked and fixed anything wrong, rotate the front tires to the rear and see if it goes away. But if the tires are old enough, then maybe that won't work because you might have more than one bad one.
        Remember Scubahawk/John? He had 3 bad 33x9.50 Super Swampers so there was no relief from the DW's until he got new tires.

Paul
        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Had more death wobble Broncos than I can remember. Most recent which was a multi year issue on the 74 Nightmare. Old Swampers out new Toyos in and problem gone. Look for frame cracks near the trac bar bracket. I just spent half the day plating Mitch's frame on the 76 becuase the bracket was tearing off the frame. Whatever it is the problem is find-able and fixable.

Jim
          www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

Working...
          X