Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany

While I am sure this thread may not be as interesting as Gil's "Hello from China" thread, and will have much different scenery than Henry's journal of his time in the eastern Sierras... it seems that I get to travel to Germany for work in a couple of months. The purpose of this thread is two-fold:

1. to share photos of places that some of you may never have seen
    2. to solicit advice from those of you who have been to Germany, in terms of things to do and see while there.

My employer wants me to spend two weeks there, working with some of my guys there face to face instead of off-hours virtual meetings. It will be fun.

I have never been to Germany; our office there is in Kelsterbach which has been described to me as an industrial suburb of Frankfurt, where there is nothing to do outside of working. So, the advice I've been given is to stay in Mainz and ride the train or drive a rental car into the office during the week. I for sure have one weekend free to travel around and see more things; but I may extend the trip and use some personal vacation time to venture around a bit more, after the work is done.

So anyway, if you have advice I am listening. Otherwise I will update this thread during or likely after, my trip.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Germany

I am looking forward to your pictures Tony. I am a big WWII buff, so my first stop would be Normandy Beach and surrounding beaches and memorials. Then I would visit the concentration camps in Germany as well as the ones in Poland. After I got that out of my system, I would like to tour the major cities and landmarks, like a typical American tourist probably. LOL. Take lots of pictures where ever you end up going. That should be a great trip!

Comment

I definitely want to see areas of historical interest, including WWII landmarks.

A friend of mine who grew up in Germany has pointed me towards some really old churches, birthplaces of historical figures, and such. I know that I am going to want to spend a lot more time there than what I have available to me, and I am hoping that I can cut several work days short so that I can spend afternoons and evenings exploring, but I have to remind myself I am going there for work.

The thought of going over to France and flying home from there instead of Germany is a definite option. I am still firming up exact dates but it is likely going to be late August and into early September. I have about a 3 week window then otherwise I will have to push it out later. Once I have my exact dates I will see about extending out from there.

My VP has been telling me that I need to do simple things like drink a beer outside of an ancient castle, take a boat trip on the Rhine, and stuff like that. My only concern is that my work itinerary is filling up too much. I may be flying half way around the world to work my normal insane schedule as if I was at home... lol
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

I would love to see the Rhine. My grandfather's unit of Combat Engineers built the largest floating bridge during war time across the Rhine. He told me a lot of stories about that. Pretty cool stuff.

Comment

Burn a weeks vacation after work is done to see what you can, once you are there it is relatively cheap...
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
            I am looking forward to your pictures Tony. I am a big WWII buff, so my first stop would be Normandy Beach and surrounding beaches and memorials. Then I would visit the concentration camps in Germany as well as the ones in Poland. After I got that out of my system, I would like to tour the major cities and landmarks, like a typical American tourist probably. LOL. Take lots of pictures where ever you end up going. That should be a great trip!
            You know Normandy is in France, right?

Comment

Either way, have a great time with their beer!

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                Burn a weeks vacation after work is done to see what you can, once you are there it is relatively cheap...
                I am leaning that way. It is pretty reasonable to move around the continent. Hotels seem about normal as well. I have a lot of stuff going on at work in that timeframe, excess vacation time may be frowned upon, but... I don't see a better time coming anytime soon.

Originally posted by gddyap View Post
                LOL I was going to let that one slide. But perhaps he means in my personal time that I take after the work part of the trip is done, to hop over to France and see Normandy. That's what I am going to assume he meant.

Originally posted by PhantomEB View Post
                Either way, have a great time with their beer!
                Man I am really not a German beer guy, but I will make the best out of it and enjoy whatever they have to offer. I am told the wine in the area that I am going to, is pretty fantastic too. So maybe I wine snob it up for a couple of weeks. I can deal with that!
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by gddyap View Post
                  LOL. Yes, I know where it is. Once you are in Germany it is very easy and pretty cheap to use the rail systems to travel around to boarding countries.

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                    I have a lot of stuff going on at work in that timeframe, excess vacation time may be frowned upon, but... I don't see a better time coming anytime soon.
                    Work will always be there... There is always a time frame challenge, big push, deadline, something. Then what, you have put 30+ years in and you may not have a pension, healthcare, etc. But you are 30 years older. You only live once. The way I look at it is if you have always done you job, been a model employee, then they cannot say squat about you taking a week of vacation in vacation season Tony. Technically, you are at work, probably putting in more than a 8 hr day. You are building a relationship with workers you only interact with via phone/e-mail/? and it will make the company better.
                    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

You are exactly right, Doug.
                      And for the record, frowned upon is not the same as prohibited

I did just spend 10 days vacationing in Tennessee disconnected completely from work, and I am going to spend another week of vacation soon for the Northwest Bronco Roundup in Oregon. It's not like I can't take vacation... my week's extension in Europe just comes at a worse time than others. I am still working to firm up dates and making this trip work. I don't think I have ever spent 3 weeks away from my house. It will be good!
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Will be following you here. Country pictures please!
                        Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry66 View Post
                          Will be following you here. Country pictures please!
                          I am still trying to figure out what to do with the 500 pictures that I took in Tennessee last month. I posted some on Facebook already.
                          Also heading to Oregon soon but that is a lot more familiar to many of us.

I think that Germany will be a lot more interesting, though I had a blast in Tennessee!
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Well I made it. 3 work days on the books.

The best part so far was a trip to Mainz for an evening. Great dinner, drinks, fantastic sight seeing.

I will try to put some photos up when I've got better wifi coverage. Hotel WiFi sucks, NCB is blocked on the corporate network.

Going to take a boat ride on the Rhine, and hit Frankfurt also this weekend.

Another week of work, then some more play.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Working...
                            X