Fuel tank ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank ideas ?

I was planning on building a gas tank out of aluminum but have a few other ideas. My axle and axle links go up into the tank as the picture shows. The part above the links will have fuel also. The problem with a aluminum gas tank under the body is that it has to be protected good. Not only from the bottom but from the axle, axle links and driveline. So if I make it out of aluminum, I will have to create a 3/16 skid plate that covers the whole bottom and the axle side. If I am going to do all that steel work shouldn't I just build a steel gas tank with the bottom and axle side out of 3/16s and the rest 16ga. So the skid plate will be built in. Helbnd said that it will work but I couldn't hard mount it because of the frame twist. I think my frame twist will be minimal since my frame is out of 3/16s. I think if I build my mounts to the 3/16 part of the tank , it will not be a problem. I understand that the reason for the skid plate is to protect gas tank but that area doesn't come into contact that often with rocks and if it does 3/16 is pretty hard to dent or put a hole in.

What's your thoughts on the idea and hard mounting it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170108_215912.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	288555

Re: Fuel tank ideas ?

Why not just mount it with strut like the after market broncos tanks all have? It works good and gives enough not to be a issue. I don't think frame twist is a issue for you but if it's a concern then a couple old shock bushings also work for separation. I do like the idea of a steel tank more then aluminum just because it's easy to work with, less stress fractures and cheaper.

Comment

put a baffle in as well for tank rigidity.

Comment

True and to help from sudden weight transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by pipelayer View Post
          True and to help from sudden weight transfer.
          Yep I have plans for that

Comment

I ended up having a14ga steel tank built that sat in a cradle that was made out of 1/8" and wrapped the tank on all sides except the top. After a couple years of abuse I ended up adding another 1/8" plate to the part of the cradle that was getting hit. I put a couple strips of thin rubber between the tank and the cradle and everything is holding up well. Your idea of building the bottom and maybe sides out of 3/16 would simplify the whole thing and should work great.
            '75 Bronco in the works..
            '69/2012 FJ40 with some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleXL View Post
              I ended up having a14ga steel tank built that sat in a cradle that was made out of 1/8" and wrapped the tank on all sides except the top. After a couple years of abuse I ended up adding another 1/8" plate to the part of the cradle that was getting hit. I put a couple strips of thin rubber between the tank and the cradle and everything is holding up well. Your idea of building the bottom and maybe sides out of 3/16 would simplify the whole thing and should work great.
              Maybe I will step up to 14ga for ease of welding and strength. Then use 16ga baffles that are dimpled to strengthen them up a little

Comment

Working...
              X