Steering Column Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Column Help

So I botched up my steering shaft and column a year ago, and welded parts together temporarily. But now I'm ready to set it up right. I definitely need a new upper and lower shaft, but also will need the column shaft clamp and any bearings (if there are any, mine are gone). So I saw that TBP sells this: http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/produ...ly-ford-bronco

But I may be a few missing parts that I cannot foresee. So my alternative would be: http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/produ...ring-wheel-new

What do you guys think? I like the cheaper price of just the 2 piece shaft kit. What other parts might I need? Thanks
    1973 Ford Bronco: 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, NP 435/D20. Holley Projection, 4.56 gears.

Re: Steering Column Help

I don't know if that's the Ididt column that Wild Horses sells but I believe theirs is a bit cheaper and the Bronco columns are 2 1/4" diameter which Ididit matched when they built the column they sell. I've been eyeing it for awhile and it's definitely a nice piece. I have a 1975 and the bearing design on the factory columns from that year are terrible.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I bought the Flaming River column that WH use to sell. I believe they sell Ididt now. The Flaming River unit is really nice. Not cheap though.

Comment

Just curious. Why do people buy the flaming river or ididit columns? Is it just for the tilt feature? Or better quality parts? And if the parts are better, what specifically is better?

I really like the position of where my steering column is currently, and don't really have a preference either way about the tilting steering wheel.
        1973 Ford Bronco: 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, NP 435/D20. Holley Projection, 4.56 gears.

Comment

Originally posted by demesauce View Post
          Just curious. Why do people buy the flaming river or ididit columns? Is it just for the tilt feature? Or better quality parts? And if the parts are better, what specifically is better?

I really like the position of where my steering column is currently, and don't really have a preference either way about the tilting steering wheel.
          For me, I'm not so concerned about the tilt feature. I am happy with the location of my wheel now. I rebuilt my column using one of the new turn signal circuit board/harness kits which I believe are all cheap China copies of the originals. It worked for awhile but now something in mine has messed up and I have no LF marker or turn signal. Plus the bearing design on the 75 columns leaves a lot to be desired. I'd rather upgrade than rebuild it again.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by demesauce View Post

I replaced mine with a Flaming River because one of the PO's had put in a GM tilt column and had never hooked up the horn or turn signals. When I pulled the steering wheel to sort it out I discovered the spline on the shaft was chewed up to the point I was worried that the steering wheel might turn on the shaft.

So I opted for the Flaming River and while I was at it I went with the stainless column.

Comment

Working...
            X