Pick and Pull Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick and Pull Rant

I went to South San Jose PnP, I got there early 0930. I asked the guy at the counter about a list of things I needed.
    Would it be better to get a whole unit price wise, or did they always price things individually. He gave me a price for Explorer front dress, heads, and upper/lower intake.
    It sounded good, $240 out the door.

I went out to the Explorer that I was looking for in row #29 and found the whole row was gone... It was being replaced with a fresh row of cars.
    Ok, plan B, there were two other V8 Explorers in the lot. The 96 drive train was gone... and the 98 was partially gone, but had what I needed.

A couple hours in the sun and I was running out of time. So I loaded up my wagon with what I had removed so far and they rang up $446.50 at the counter, WTF!
    Everything was itemized, no unit price. I mentioned the guys name at the counter and the price and direction he gave me... He was wrong was the response.
    They tried to justify the cost of the individual items... and I am like these parts have a 156K on them, they are not worth what you are asking. The EGR valve $30, I can buy new for $45.

So I took What I absolutely needed $101.00 Then the guy says he wants to work with me... I said I will give you $240 bucks for the lot. No, I would get in trouble for that, you know there is a core value for some of theses parts...

I walked out dirty and pissed off (time to get home and pick up my Boys from school) What a racket the wreaking yards have become in the Bay area.
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Re: Pick and Pull Rant

I've been in that exact same position at PnP, for Explorer 5.0 EFI parts. My outcome was a little better than yours, but it is a complete racket anymore. I've had better luck at Doris' in Hayward. I really miss the old "Pick your Part" yard that also used to be in Hayward, they were much better than PnP. PnP has bought up so many of the yards in Northern CA though... and they are all just like that.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

I had the same thing happen in Rocklin they quoted me 40$ for a touras fan and relays and when I got to the counter they wanted to charge me 40$ for each relay plus 60$ for the fan so I told them never mind the fan is broken and tossed it to the other side of the shop in a recycle pile and Walked out. So I don't think I'm going back.

Comment

i try to avoid them now. They nickel and dime everything

Comment

Same deal here. I just picked a 2001 Dodge D60 disc brake rear for my Bronco. Before I pulled it I asked to confirm price, she said 150-160. When I get to the counter she says oh, disk brake is more. Ended up paying $250 and was missing one caliper and bracket.

An other deal worked out good though. Found a good carpet for my 2004 Explorer, 30 minutes start to finish removal and paid $20
          1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

The Stockton p&p is the same way now. Outrageous prices. I find that after gas, entry fee and hard work, dirty and all cut up it's more effective to buy the part I need off ebay.

Comment

It's really a shame what has happened to our junkyards. Used to be one of my favorite places to spends a few hours. Now it's a last resort. Still bugs me that I have to pay an entry fee, especially that their prices are through the roof and the employees are completely rude.
              Last edited by Muddy; 03-02-2016, 05:25 AM.
              We're here for a good time, not a long time!

Comment

They are junkyard employees.
                They have the board prices posted, they have to stick with that.
                You just have to look at the board price and pick.
                It's often cheaper to buy a whole motor with everything on it then to buy a few parts from it.
                Mark Harris
                71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                  It's often cheaper to buy a whole motor with everything on it then to buy a few parts from it.
                  That is exactly what a junkyard worker told me when I was putting my EFI parts together. I know an uplevel manager for a junkyard chain and have spoken to him quite a bit about prices. There are a lot of factors behind it... its not an easy business to be in, in this state (and probably elsewhere). I've been told they suck the freon out of every air conditioning system and sell it "used". They are all about extracting every single penny of value out of every single car.
                  I am definitely becoming more a fan of paying a little more for new parts, or finding stuff on Craigslist or eBay.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Working...
                  X