What do you use as your EB tow rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you use as your EB tow rig

I currently tow with a 2012 Nissan Armada 5.6L. Prior tow rig was a 2003 Excursion Diesel. I only tow the Bronco a handful of times a year. The Excursion was great as a tow rig, but not the best daily driver which is 99% of what it did. Either way is a compromise and the diesel was not worth the significant extra expense in initial cost and also in maintenance (every part seems to be 3-5x more expensive). The Armada tows much better than I expected and the biggest weakness is not in the drivetrain, but in braking. Good trailer brakes and a quality controller will really help with this. I think any of the modern 1/2 tons are better at towing than the 1 tons of 20 years ago. The tow/haul mode makes a big difference with a heavy trailer.
    1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

I have a 2000 F350 7.3L 6sp for heavier stuff, but just for towing a Bronco I hook up to a 2012 MBZ GL450 and take off. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
        So I bought a new 2002 7.3 diesel crewcab superduty truck... It was $40K back in the end of 2001, and Diesel was $1.45 a gallon. I tow and get 14mpg, around town it is 13mpg, open freeway 16-17mpg. I have a 46 gallon aftermarket tank. Most things I tow, I hardly know that they are behind me.

Tires (3rd set) and oil changes (switched to synthetic at about 100K) is what I have done for the most of its life so far... Did the tranny last year with 174K on it, did one cam sensor.
        Well worth the money, as I expect to go 300K miles on it... And the 7.3 hold their value for that reason. I cannot tell you how many times a newer diesel owner at the gas station says he wishes he had kept his 7.3...............
        Exactly what I did, November 2001 bought my 7.3. Other than going though a few transmissions it's been a perfect truck with zero regrets.

I can offer witness that marks 5.4 F150 pulls well. He passed me headed to Moab like I was standing still!

One more note, my brother just bought a 96 CTD with 240k for 9k. Really clean, I mean big time and runs great.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
          I can offer witness that marks 5.4 F150 pulls well. He passed me headed to Moab like I was standing still.
          I remember that trip. That was a long time ago, before your boys. When are you headed back to Moab? Those were good times.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

We wanted to go this April, but not sure that's going to happen.
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Working...
            X