My First Welding Project..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Welding Project..

I got a Millermatic 180.. Welder for X mas.. And My First Project was Bumpers...

Aaron
    Attached Files
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Very nice kind of a good feeling knowing you built it your self
    So what is next?
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Those really look great. Your welds look awesome for a beginner. Once you get your speed down, you'll be heading for some sweet welds...
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
        Those really look great. Your welds look awesome for a beginner. Once you get your speed down, you'll be heading for some sweet welds...
        Yeah no kidding... More Voltage... More line speed.. Faster... Waait,, Less Voltage... Less Line speed SLOW DOWN.... It's all learning!! I am Happy for my first time picking up a welder but I realize I have a ways to go..
        A
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack
          Yeah no kidding... More Voltage... More line speed.. Faster... Waait,, Less Voltage... Less Line speed SLOW DOWN.... It's all learning!! I am Happy for my first time picking up a welder but I realize I have a ways to go..
          A
          It is a real feel game. But once you get it, you got it. Remember, just because the weld looks good, it doesn't mean that you are getting good penetration in to the metal. I remember back in the day, I welded a new lower track bar on. It broke off on the trail. The welds looked great, but I had no penetration at all into the axle tube. I didn't take into consederation the much thicker metal on the tube. I should have kept the heat mainly on the tube and pulled the metal from the bracket in as I went. One thing you have that is a MAJOR advantage...a NICE welder!1 I started with the Hobart 135 110v. Nice for small jobs, but nothing like my 260 amp Fire Power...
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Nice work Aaron
            Those bumpers look sweet and I bet they are bomb proof. Lots of fun making steel stick together huh??
            If ya didn't know ,with thicker steel, grind the edges down at a 45 degree when you bring 2 pieces together and then you will have a valley to weld into. It gets more penetration that way and less grinding of the finished product.

Great job. look forward to seeing them at the get together.
            FM <><
            72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
            1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

that front bumper looks AMAZING!... your first time?? wow thats good. i like the front tucked up like that ...

TWO THUMBS UP
              {o===o}
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
              Originally posted by CityHick
              I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

1 more thing... what size box tubing did you use for the frame to bumper??? how does it attach? Weld/bolt?? got a pic??
                {o===o}
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Thanks guys.. I tucked the front in a few inches.. I am happy with the way they came out.. I should have spent a little more time on the rear bumper to clean it up and sand it down more.. Ohh well I got into a hurry and wanted it on..

A
                  KK6DAD
                  70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                    1 more thing... what size box tubing did you use for the frame to bumper??? how does it attach? Weld/bolt?? got a pic??
                    2x4 tube steel. Single grade 8 bolt- top to bottom. I can take pics.. I figure my frame will break before these ever will.
                    KK6DAD
                    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Nice work. You must have done it before?

I have been welding sence I was 14 in highschool,(58 now) we had metal shop back then. It all depends on the day at this point. My glasses fog up and I can not weld worth a bean.
                      1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

does the steel slide right in??
                        {o===o}

Comment

2x4 tube steel. Single grade 8 bolt- top to bottom. I can take pics.. I figure my frame will break before these ever will.
                          I have seen a lot of people drill and tap holes in the 2x4 sleeve to add two more bolts one on the bottom and side in the existing frame holes. To add a little more strength when winching staright forward. I have seen the single bolts tear out of the edge of the frame and it isn't pretty.
                          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                            does the steel slide right in??
                            Yes slides right in.
                            KK6DAD
                            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by highlander
                              I have seen a lot of people drill and tap holes in the 2x4 sleeve to add two more bolts one on the bottom and side in the existing frame holes. To add a little more strength when winching staright forward. I have seen the single bolts tear out of the edge of the frame and it isn't pretty.
                              I have thought about adding a cross bolt.. when I made the bumper i made sure i had 6" to slide into the frame. But i have the bolts 3" back into the frame.

Aaron
                              Attached Files
                              KK6DAD
                              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
                              X