Dana 20 Twin-Stick owners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 20 Twin-Stick owners...

Does the twin stick kit for the Dana 20 use a lock-out plate like the stock set-up?
    If the stock 'T' shifter uses a detent to hold the transfer case in a gear range, how does it work with the twin stick?
    My D20 keeps slipping into neutral at speed for no apparent reason. I cannot duplicate the conditions to make it slip out, so I can't find a fix for it.
    The lock-out plate is crisp, and the detent is not worn.
    I am wondering if the twin-stick kit could solve the problem because when it slips into N from 2H, I must stop to get it back in, even on the freeway. It is becoming a potentially dangerous problem since I live on mountain roads.

Suggestions?
    IronHide: '69 U15 - 408W Stroker, FiTech EFI Dyno'ed 425 hp/ 500 Tq - NP435, Twin Stick D20 w/ AA output shaft, D44 & F 9" w/ ARB's front & rear, 4:88's, 31 Splines, 3" BL / 2" SL, TrailReady BL's on siped Toyo 35's, WH Wrap Trap, BCB Top, Warn Zeon 10, ProtoFabs

Re: Dana 20 Twin-Stick owners...

Twin sticking will not cure your problem. If your t-case is constantly poping out then the springs and pills on the detents are worn to the point that they arn't holding the shift rods firmly in place. Your best bet is to rebuild the t-case or get a bungee cord to hold the stick in place.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

It has the stock 'T' handle. I must still push the button to get it to change range.
      I just had the NP435 & D20 Transfer rebuilt due to the PO rebuilding it improperly ($1900 worth).
      I am taking it back to the tranny shop on Wed. Luckily one of my complaints written on the invoice was that it was popping out of 2H. I guess they will have to keep working on it until I get what I paid for.
      IronHide: '69 U15 - 408W Stroker, FiTech EFI Dyno'ed 425 hp/ 500 Tq - NP435, Twin Stick D20 w/ AA output shaft, D44 & F 9" w/ ARB's front & rear, 4:88's, 31 Splines, 3" BL / 2" SL, TrailReady BL's on siped Toyo 35's, WH Wrap Trap, BCB Top, Warn Zeon 10, ProtoFabs

Comment

Twin sticking will very likely make the problem worse, not better. I would start by getting new detent springs, it is a cheap place to start and it (finally) got mine to stay in gear and not pop out on the freeway like it did. You can probably replace those springs with the t-case in the vehicle. Its a little cramped but its doable.

Call Jack O'Brien at O'Brien's 4-wheels west. he has a heavier pair of springs for the D20 and they don't cost much.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

I am pretty sure your T Shop didnt even touch the shift rails. Likley all they dide was clean it, replace seals, and good to go.
          Its a bit of a bitch to get both shift rails out and to replace the springs, balls, and the end seals. To make the T-shift Dana 20 into a true Twin shift where you can shift the front separate from the rear you have to grind some material from the rails. Its not too hard to do that. I did mine.
          Attached Files
          Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

You can try new balls and springs
            http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/dentent_spring

That would be my first step, but a violent pooping out of gear is normally a bent shift fork.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Call Jack O Brian he has new shift rails that will fix this problem and allow you to shift into front or rear lock independently! I going to have him do mine very soon!
              70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

Working...
              X