GPS to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS to use

I've been looking at a lot of maps on my phone. I see a whole bunch of forestry/logging roads that I could possible travers between lakes and such in the Sierras. Once I lose service with the phone the GPS is useless. Have any of you used a GPS (not phone) to navigate back roads and explore different routes? If so what GPS would you recommend or use or like or dislike? Forestry maps are ok but as we all know aren't always marked well enough.
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: GPS to use

I use a nice little handheld Garmin color to find those roads to the fishing lakes I also spot on it
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

i also have a Garmin and it works nice. You might want to buy the Mapsource software too. I do know that the National Geographic topo software maps are better. at least they used to be. they are more detailed.
      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

I have used 3 Garmin GPS products over the past 20 years.
        My current unit which is about 5 years old, is the GPSmap 60CSx. Technology is about 12 years old, but it works and doesn't drain your batteries in 4 hours like the new touch screens.
        FIVE BIG pieces of GPS advice:
        1). Learn to use it to its limit. Take some time practicing with it and read the manual over & over until you understand it, then use the unit in the field, make notes of what isn't working or not fully understanding how to navigate, then follow up with the manual.
        2). Use USFS road maps to give you the big picture, but rely on USGS topo maps. The USFS maps were updated in 2007 with all of the national OHV program mapping to keep ATV's off USFS roads. USGS (Geological Survey topographical maps) are much more accurate about waterways, landmarks and terrain. Understand Magnetic north, Grid North, and True North as it pertains to maps.
        3). Learn how to use the UTM (Universal Transverse Mercadur Grid). You can buy pamphlets on how to use UTM. UTM is what the military uses and it will get you within 3 meters of what you are looking for. Most people use GPS's but can't locate themselves on a map. That's because most GPS's are set to use the Longitude / Latitude coordinates which are long, have large increments, and are difficult to plot on a map. UTM coordinates can easily be determined from your GPS set to read UTM, and with a $2 UTM plotter you can easily locate yourself on a USGS map. Once practiced you don't even need a plotter.
        I come across people every year who are in the forest, and have a GPS but are lost.
        4). Carry plenty of spare batteries for the unit. They eat batteries if all functions are being utilized.
        5). NEVER trust an electronic compass.

Last edited by WARDOG; 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM.
        IronHide: '69 U15 - 408W Stroker, FiTech EFI Dyno'ed 425 hp/ 500 Tq - NP435, Twin Stick D20 w/ AA output shaft, D44 & F 9" w/ ARB's front & rear, 4:88's, 31 Splines, 3" BL / 2" SL, TrailReady BL's on siped Toyo 35's, WH Wrap Trap, BCB Top, Warn Zeon 10, ProtoFabs

Comment

There are many different units, brands, models. I have had a Magellan for 5 years and it's never let me down. That being said, like a computer, it seemed obsolete the moment I bought it. I think my next purchase will be a Garmin Rhino. It has the radio, camera and GPS all in one unit. Mine is used for hunting a long way into wilderness areas. With the Rhino, if others in your party also have a Rhino, your location shows up on the map when you transmit.
          1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Originally posted by WARDOG View Post
            3). Learn how to use the UTM (Universal Transverse Mercadur Grid). You can buy pamphlets on how to use UTM. UTM is what the military uses and it will get you within 3 meters of what you are looking for. Most people use GPS's but can't locate themselves on a map. That's because most GPS's are set to use the Longitude / Latitude coordinates which are long, have large increments, and are difficult to plot on a map. UTM coordinates can easily be determined from your GPS set to read UTM, and with a $2 UTM plotter you can easily locate yourself on a USGS map. Once practiced you don't even need a plotter.
            Good Advice Thank You. I have done a fair share of backpacking and am familiar with navigating using topos. But you have really peaked my interest with the description of UTM. I have never heard of it (I'm not military ) and your description has me very intrigued. Def gonna look into it.
            sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Comment

The GPS on a phone (at least on IPhones) continues to work without cell coverage. But you loose the ability to pull map data off the network. If you use a GPS App that allows you to save map data on the phone it shows maps everywhere. Although reading maps from a small phone or GPS screen is a little frustrating. I typically carry paper maps and just use the phone or GPS to get my coordinates.
              I use the Motion-X GPS app. I also have the Philip Endecott Topo Maps App, which allows you to preload all USGS topos on your phone. It is really cheap and you can download as many maps as needed for no extra charge. It will also show your location on the maps. Like I said before though if you zoom a map in enough to read contours on a small screen it is tough to see what is around you without scrolling around. Not a big deal for roads, but sucks when navigating cross country.
              I have a few GPS units but since getting my phone I haven't used them.
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

If you have android try backcountry GPS. It has multiple maps and let's you share your tracks easily. Just have to download the map tiles you want when out of service range.
                70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

I would stop at a forest ranger station and pick up u.s. forest map and off-highway summit district maps .There are a lot of roads that are burmed,rocked and gated. These new maps show everything that is accessable ......Thats what we have

Comment

Working...
                  X