3 vehicles, one driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 vehicles, one driver

Bought a new car yesterday, super economical VW Passat TDI. 45mpg highway easy. Bitchin ride for making the drive to work suck less (awesome stereo, very comfortable, gadgets up the wazoo). So now I have three vehicles. The Bronco, my 2000 Chevy Silverado and my VW. I learned that its cheaper to insure my brand new VW than it is my 13 year old truck. Kinda thinking the truck's days are limited under my watch. Am I crazy to get rid of a truck? Its useful, hauls everything I need it to but it looks like shit and has 234000 miles on the odometer. Runs very well though, decently optioned, comfortable, reliable.

Anybody get by as a homeowner with their Bronco being their only truck? I'd consider getting a small utility trailer to tow with the Bronco for the times when I need the capacity of a truck bed.

...being truck-less might have the side effect of me finally finishing my Bronco's hard doors and finding a good hard top for it. Would consider adding AC to the Bronco if I ditch the truck.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: 3 vehicles, one driver

Tony, you own a house in the city, not a ranch in the country, home depot delivers. you don't tow the bronco and probably most of your heavy home projects are done for a while. ditch the truck and get an old small rental trailer to tow behind the bronco to go fetch stuff ya need. And you wont have to help your friends move anymore cause you aint got no truck!! You'll survive.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

That's kind of the way I've been thinking about it Jeff... thanks. Two main reasons I'd keep the truck are 1, its 4x4 and I like to go to the mountains in the winter, and 2, its super handy to have it at my disposal for those random Saturday projects involving hauling stuff back from Home Depot. Third purpose would be to keep my dog from shedding and smelling up my new car... though I know I could get one of those back seat dog seat cover thingamagigs to help with that.

Most of my friends are pretty well settled.. haven't had to help anybody move in a long time. LOL!

I don't need the cash out of the truck urgently... so I think I'm just going to park it a while and see how often I find myself actually using it.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Murphys Law Tony, You'll put the truck in the side yard for 6 months and never use it so you sell it. day after you sell it, you need it.......
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I still have my '78 F150 that I bought new plus three other vehicles including the Bronco. I'll never get rid of the truck. It doesn't owe me anything and its just too handy. It's also a lot less hassle than hooking up a trailer when you want to haul something. From the tone of your posts I think deep down inside you want to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by 70 Steed View Post
            From the tone of your posts I think deep down inside you want to keep it.
            LOL. I guess I'm transparent like that. I've owned it outright for 11 of the 13 years I've had it. I am just surprised that even dropping my annual miles driven to 3000, increasing my deductibles to $1000 and telling my agent it'll be parked most of the time, that its still more to insure than a brand new car. They claim its because of its potential to inflict damage, that drives the liability coverage up. Crazy. I have a clean driving record.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

if its paid for, keep it. Worst to worst, non-op it and leave it parked.

Comment

Vehicles dont sit well. Buy a motorcycle.
                Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Little update... now that my insurance co wrote the policy based on VIN the VW coverage is more than the truck. And apparently the amounts were not updated online yesterday as my truck's premium has dropped a bit. Truck's registration is paid for another year, at which time it'll need smog. It's always passed with flying colors.

For now it stays, eventually to be replaced. Now to re-arrange my garage so as to accomodate the VW in addition to the Bronco, its primary resident.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

I owned a truck for several years and regreted when I got rid of it for a Ford explorer. However, I found a cheap ($400)utility trailer and it has been great. No extra insurance or reg fees to deal with. I've used it way more than I expected.
                    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

nice..we went economy too, got a 2013 nissan versa, average between 43 and 47 on the highway

Comment

I did the opposite. I daily drive my early bronco. I do have to admit that my commute is 3.5 miles each way.
                        Marc D.
                        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I daily drive my 06 f150. It gets 17 mpg and I drive 100 miles 6 days a week
                          Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Originally posted by ThrillHouse View Post
                            nice..we went economy too, got a 2013 nissan versa, average between 43 and 47 on the highway
                            A friend of mine has a Versa; very reliable little car. I considered some subcompact models but kept coming back to the VW. Maybe its a sign I'm getting closer to 40... something about bigger, more comfortable cars started appealing to me.

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
                            I did the opposite. I daily drive my early bronco. I do have to admit that my commute is 3.5 miles each way.
                            I drive my EB to work a few times a year. My drive's just a bit farther than yours though (San Jose 3-4x a week).

Originally posted by California Monkey View Post
                            I daily drive my 06 f150. It gets 17 mpg and I drive 100 miles 6 days a week
                            I've daily driven my 2000 Silverado to work for nearly 13 years with only a brief break when I had my 06 Mustang (which liked its gas too). Truck burns a $100 tank per week just going to work. So around $500/month in fuel that just turns into tailpipe vapor. My new ride has payments associated with it but I'll almost even out with the fuel savings. And it was just time for something different.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Tony,

Keep what you got and drive them... You could be married and hearing the little voice that says we need to decrease our foot print with the DMV and the Insurance company...
                              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Working...
                              X