JetBoil Helios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JetBoil Helios

Does anyone have a Jetboil product? I am thinking about getting the Helios for wheelin and camping (not backpacking, its to heavy). It seems like the two best are Jetboil and MSR Reactor. MSR Reactor only takes their pot and does not have other options like a frying pan or a bigger pot. They also look like they would tip over. The MSR is faster at boiling water but I want it for cooking food. I've grew up with my dad having everything white gas but it always seemed like a pain in the ass to start and pump to get pressure. White gas is a lot cheaper but a push button start is hard to pass up. Whats your thoughts?

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/helios.html
    Last edited by Rockbronco67; 06-06-2013, 02:36 PM.

Re: JetBoil Helios

I have several friends with Jet Boils. They love them. They can boil water faster than any camping product I have seen. Two small issues is that capacity of the ones they had was small, but not a really issue, and secondly they can erupt if left unattended.

I think you will enjoy one.

Comment

I have a Jetboil. Haven't taken it camping yet but it boils super fast and there are several accessories available for it, including a frypan and pot that will both clip on like the mug. Also, if you get the small gas canister it will fit inside the mug with the burner for very compact packing. Awesome product!! I got the coffee press one for fresh coffee on the trail!
      Last edited by Efibroncoman; 06-06-2013, 05:45 PM.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I watch Jim make his coffee on his every day, he really likes it.
        For me, I cook too much, I need a bigger setup. I need to hit the flee markets and find an old white gas stove.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Love mine. Coffee and oatmeal in a few minutes. Easy and compact

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
            For me, I cook too much, I need a bigger setup. I need to hit the flee markets and find an old white gas stove.
            X2, my friends and I tend to cook really well when camping. I have looked at the jetboil stoves before, they are nice and would be great for backpacking, they just don't suit my purposes well when camping out of the Bronco or my truck.

Mark, you definitely need one of those white gas stoves. I was given one for free several years ago, it's nearly as old as me but was essentially new in box (only used a few times, still in retail box). I put a little gas in it and it fired right up. I've used it a lot now, its great. You can also buy an adapter to run most old colemans on propane so you can have a "dual fuel" stove really easily.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Might have to look into the Helios. As Mark said I use my Jet boil daily. I like to bring a little camping feel to work every day. Two thumbs up for the Jet Boil.

Jim
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

Comment

The brown truck dropped it off today. I will let everyone know how it works after next weekend.

Comment

I was able to give it a try on the Rubicon Run. Worked great. It boils water very fast and was able to last the 3 days on a small 100g canister. For dinners I only brought precooked meals (Chili Verde, Pulled Pork) and it heated up the food very well with out burning bottom. For Breakfast I had premade foil wrapped breakfast burritos. So I thought I give it a try. Put the lid on and flipped the burritos frequently. Bad idea. the pot got very hot and melted the plastic lid a little. So it seems like you have to stick to liquid based foods. I am only using the Pot that it came with.

Pros
                  -Packaged very well
                  -Heats water very fast
                  -Very stable on the floor
                  -Big enough for a 2 person meal

Cons
                  -Can only heat up liquid based meals
                  Last edited by Rockbronco67; 07-16-2013, 02:13 PM.

Comment

I got the Jetboil Flash in January but have only tried it out at home so far. The coffee press is cool!

I would like to get the Jetboil cooking pot or Fry pan. I may be wrong but I think they're supposed to lock onto the burner like the cup does.
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

The coffee press is cool on the flash but I justed used Starbucks VIAs so I don't have to mess with anything else

Comment

I've been using the JetBoil FLASH for 5 years now.
                        It's awesome! I use the boiling water to heat up MRE meals, heating a can of soup, boiling water for coffee (I have the press) and just got the wings for cooking with pans (have to stir frequently).
                        I've carried it in my pack hunting, hiking, on my quad. Very durable, compact, light. Several of my hunting buddies who 'rough it (pop-tarts and cold canned chili) saw my flash and have bought their own.
                        IronHide: '69 U15 - 408W Stroker, FiTech EFI Dyno'ed 425 hp/ 500 Tq - NP435, Twin Stick D20 w/ AA output shaft, D44 & F 9" w/ ARB's front & rear, 4:88's, 31 Splines, 3" BL / 2" SL, TrailReady BL's on siped Toyo 35's, WH Wrap Trap, BCB Top, Warn Zeon 10, ProtoFabs

Comment

Working...
                        X