anyone using a Roku media streamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone using a Roku media streamer

I am looking in to ditching the cable TV and getting a media streamer. anyone using one?
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Re: anyone using a Roku media streamer

my friend has one and absolutely swears by it.
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

I have one love it but can't use itunes or you tube

Comment

I am interested in doing this also. I am out of my contract with Directv and need to get a new internet provider. I will be looking into this.

Comment

they are supposed to be coming out with a new model in a few days. It seems to be one of the cheaper ways to go and I am headed in that direction so far. I would also like to be able to stream videos on my PC but this model won't do that.
          1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

I was going to buy a Roku, but when I upgraded my TV, but between it and my Sony BluRay player I had most of the streaming "apps" that I wanted from a RoKu, as both my TV and BluRay player are internet connected. Around that time I cancelled my cable service and was without a paid TV service for a couple of weeks until I got my Dish Network deal. I found that with just the streaming services and local over the air broadcast, I was missing the DVR functionality and some of the paid broadcast networks; history, discovery, etc.

I do use Amazon Prime for streaming movies all the time, as well as Pandora and a few other online music streaming services. I will recommend that you hard wire which every streaming device you have to your high speed internet connection. When I remodeled my house 11 years ago I had the forethought to pull Cat 5 cable to every single room. Behind my TV stand I have a small 5 port network switch which connects all of my internet connected devices via hard wire vs. wifi. Netflix/Amazon will throttle your signal quality down if they notice that your speed drops below a certain threshold.. so if you pay for an HD movie they can throttle you back at will to SD. That hasn't happened even once since I hard wired everything.
            Last edited by CityHick; 03-06-2013, 04:47 PM.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

we have been running a Sony media box for almost 2 yrs. Hulu and Netflix pretty much get the job done, need to pick up a digital antenna for local stuff. Don't really miss cable all that much. I think our total bill for Internet and media is like $50 a month.
              72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

anyone have any experience with the WD TV Live? This on can stream music and video from a networked PC. An otion that I like.

Comment

All I use now is my Apple TV and Computer. Works great!
                  69 Bronco, FI 351W, NP-435 Trans, Dana20, Dana 44 w/ARB Air locker, BB 9" w/Detroit Locker, Fab-Tech ext. Radius arms, Fox shocks coil over frnt suspension.

Comment

I love ours. Never had cable up here. The hubby gets to stay up to date with racing and I get to stay up to date with all the chick shows without all the crappy commercials. I'd recommend it.
                    fishmouth-fabworks.com

Comment

I just picked up a roku today. Still trying to figure out what channels I want. The WD TV doesn't support Amazon streaming and that is where I found most my kids shows. I am now going to try to use plex media server software on my Movie system so i can access my movies from any tv using the roku. I will update on what I find. Once I am done with my testing I will cancel DirecTV.

Comment

cool, you are a few steps ahead of me. I may hold off until I hear how it worked.

Comment

any luck with Plex yet?

Comment

I will find out today. Plex also allows you to access Hulu (not plus) on the Roku also. I imagine WD TV has somee kind of hack also. My main goal is to be able to access my shows and my kids shows for free or cheap. Also has to be easy enough for my wife to use.
                            Last edited by Rockbronco67; 03-11-2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

i am torn between the Roku and the WD TV live now. WD play a lot of different file formats and can stream off a local network which is why I am interested in it. they both cost the same though.

Comment

Working...
                              X